Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E 1991 300E 2000 S430 2006 SLK55 AMG
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 S430- I am replacing the two front struts and have them completly disconnected except for the black plastic air hose that goes into the black plastic canister on the bottom of the strut. It is not obvious to me how to disconnect it.
I checked arnotts site and there is no manual for the Mercedes. I also searched this fourum and can't find this solution.
I don't want to force the plastic clip the wrong way and break it.

Also what is better on the Arnott site the new redesigned struts or the rebuilt ones?

thanks
Paul

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
paul , i changed a strut on my 02 s500 couple weeks ago . i took pictures , just havent had the time to to write up a diy post yet! anyways i think your talking about a black wire that goes from the bottom of the strut to the fender well connection. im pretty sure i know what your describing but a picture would help! than i can tell you forsure. trace the black wire from the strut to where it plugs into the fender well. there is a little metal clip around the connectors that you will have to pry out in order to take those connectors out, you will have to pry with a very very small flathead or pic. i will have my camera in the evening and i will send you pictures to show you exactly what im talking about. have you figured out the starting problem yet?

the rebuilt struts from arnott are excellent ...better than oem parts, better air bag, new top seal design , all seals changed and tested etc... my car rides alot better. as for the brand new redesigns just came out so im sure most people have not experienced with them yet . theres a 10% discount for being on this forum just in case if you didnt know. keep me updated

goodluck

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
The air hose is at the top of the strut in the engine compartment. When you remove the brass fitting that holds the hose, place a small plastic bag over the end of the hose and rubber band it in place to prevent any dirt from entering the system.

The line that runs from the base of the strut to the side of the wheel well is electronic, but it does indeed look like it should carry air. Trace the line from the strut and you will find that it should pass through a fitting which hold other lines together with small sized plastic tie band. You will need to carefully snip the tie band to remove the wire and the strut.

When you reach the end of the wire at the wheel well you will find a small diameter piece of wire which extends from left to right over the top of the fitting, and acts to hold the fitting in place. To remove this wire, take a small diameter screw driver and GENTLEY pry the wire upward while at the same time lifting the wire away on the side closest to you. When the wire is removed you will be able to pull the fitting out of the housing, at which time you will find that the fitting is actually two fittings that snap together and then get inserted in the housing with the wire holding them in place.

Putting these two fittings together and getting them properly seated with the wire in place, usually gives me more trouble than any other portion of the procedures for changing a strut.

One more tip: the new strut will come with a brass plug in the air inlet at the top of the strut. Leave this plug in place until the strut is completely in place and remove it only when you are ready to reattach the air line. This will keep dirt out of the system. Also, keep the brass plug in your spare part box for future use should you need to remove the strut for other work.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
That is a wire to control the hydraulic fluid, it will open the valve inside the bottom of the hydraulic chamber for damping selections. Nothing to do with air.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paul , i changed a strut on my 02 s500 couple weeks ago . i took pictures , just havent had the time to to write up a diy post yet! anyways i think your talking about a black wire that goes from the bottom of the strut to the fender well connection. im pretty sure i know what your describing but a picture would help! than i can tell you forsure. trace the black wire from the strut to where it plugs into the fender well. there is a little metal clip around the connectors that you will have to pry out in order to take those connectors out, you will have to pry with a very very small flathead or pic. i will have my camera in the evening and i will send you pictures to show you exactly what im talking about. have you figured out the starting problem yet?

the rebuilt struts from arnott are excellent ...better than oem parts, better air bag, new top seal design , all seals changed and tested etc... my car rides alot better. as for the brand new redesigns just came out so im sure most people have not experienced with them yet . theres a 10% discount for being on this forum just in case if you didnt know. keep me updated

goodluck
Thanks for the quick reply! Now I see that it is a wire and you disconnect it from the wheel well not the strut. Can't see how the clip is opened yet will have to check in the morning.
I think I will go with the redisgned struts. Not much more than the rebult. Thanks for the 10% off information. How do you go about getting it?
No, no luck on the start problem yet. That is why I moved on to the struts. At least I can get that fixed:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
no problem paul, here is the link for the arnott discount code, for being a benzworld forum member . please keep us updated and let me know how things go with the struts, ill send you pictures if u would like. lemme know , goodluck

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/arnott-inc/1477033-arnott-inc-discount-code.html
I just ordered the newly redesigned struts from arnott. The code worked for the discount. I guess my wife will say that I purchased another Christmas present for myself:)

Xexpo - Thanks for the PDF.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Paul, glad to hear the code worked for you. when you get the shocks in please take some detailed pictures and post them! im curious to see how the new redesigned ones look, arnotts has one simple picture up. if you need help! dont hesitate! goodluck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul, glad to hear the code worked for you. when you get the shocks in please take some detailed pictures and post them! I'm curious to see how the new redesigned ones look, arnotts has one simple picture up. if you need help! dint hesitate! goodluck
I will be happy to take some pictures. It will feel nice finally giving back. I feel like all I do is ask for help, which is always quickly given by you, and the other knowledgeable members of this forum.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
no problem paul, thats what we are all here for. i appreciate these mbz forums.. helps everyone out alot. keep us updated and goodluck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts