Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are replacing the CPS in our 2001 E320 and took it to a local mechanic friend as he can put it up on the lift and has the necessary tools. He stated though that the info he has states that "after replacing the part a reinitialization must be carried out with Star Diagnosis in the menu item control module adaptations." Any idea what this is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Tons of topics on the subject in the archive.
ohlord is the only one who recommends CPS calibration here. Me and several others just changed CPS and drove without a problem

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
We are replacing the CPS in our 2001 E320 and took it to a local mechanic friend as he can put it up on the lift and has the necessary tools. He stated though that the info he has states that "after replacing the part a reinitialization must be carried out with Star Diagnosis in the menu item control module adaptations." Any idea what this is?

Thanks.
I Would find another Shop to do the replacement of the CPS as it does NOT require a Lift / hoist and takes about 5 Min Max..NO Special Version code work its plug and Play

Sounds like your friend the Mechanic Needs more Christmas Spending Money

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPS replacement

We tried ourselves and could remove the wire and touch the part but couldnt get under the side to remove the screw even with my thin arms and hands. He owes us and has the tools, no cost. :D

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
We tried ourselves and could remove the wire and touch the part but couldnt get under the side to remove the screw even with my thin arms and hands. He owes us and has the tools, no cost. :D
I trust you released the hood catch so it opened to vertical and removed the engine cover? That will give you plenty of room to work. Neither my hands nor arms are small and I didn't have any trouble with it. You're functioning blind down there, basically you put the tool on the fastener and remove it. Once it is loose enough, one finger on it while it's in the socket will hold it while you extract the tool with the fastener.

It's all pretty tight down there but not that tight, at least not on the E. I'd hate to think of it on a C320, yuck.

The other post is correct, if you put it on a lift you will never reach the CPS, at least without removing a whole lot of other parts.

The DIY tips (there are two of them in the sticky) have all the info you need. In the main one is a tip from ohlord about reindexing the CPS without using the SDS. Takes 2 minutes, can't hurt to do it.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I dont know that he will use a lift, I just knew I couldn't reach it and loosen and remove the bolt and if it would have been easier from underneath (he didnt say it would be) he had the access.
He got in there with his mirror and bright lights and could see better than I to work on it and say it would be no problem but before he continued he asked about the calibration. Yes, definately working blind there and maybe if I could have loosened it easier I would not have pushed the job off. But he owes me so I will happily offload this job. :D

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Than in W163 you will find at least 2 topics (mine and Thrillkill's) that on V8 the only way to get to CPS is thru the inner fender.
W210 has more complicated inner fender, but still going from the bottom might be the only way when clearance between the engine and firewall is not big enough.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Vertical hood release

a good fender pad,proper diy in the diy section or on mercedesshop.com
and index it to the ECU.Dealer would say sds index,old school :)Figures away around sds and index by starting the car after install and let idle for 30 seconds and then after high idle sets to normal idle,slowly in park ramp up the rpm slowly for 2 minutes to about 2500 rpm.That will allow the ecu to take in the new cps values triggered and properly get the values absorbed into its tiny brain.;)
:bowdown:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Let me just say that on the V8 it is unbelievably tight and completely exasperating to try and get a tool (E8) down in there. After several hours of trying, even hacksawing my socket driver in half to make it shorter; I gave up and had it towed to my indie. $207 parts and labor.

BTW the dealer wanted $160 for the part alone!

·
Registered
685 Posts
The hardest part of replacing CPS for me was locating the sensor - However, Gregs210s' pdf in the sticky has shown the precise location. Too bad he had the pdf after I had to replace mine - Uhhhhh! I also don't see how you can do it from below.

I got mine from the dealer for less than $100.
Anyway, for me as a novice, it's quite simple to do it on my E320, I guess same as yours. My hands and arms are not small but there are plenty of room, just need to have a tool so you make the first turn. Something like this. Make sure you wear glove.

Craftsman 7 pc. T-Handle Nut Driver Set, In. - Model 34546 at Sears.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts