Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have diagnosed 'rough engine' as being a problem with one of the coils on one of my cylinders (0300, 0302 - engine misfiring on cyclinder #2). Question: how hard is it to replace a coil - is this something that could be done at home or highly specialized? Thank you.

ReBell

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,146 Posts
I have diagnosed 'rough engine' as being a problem with one of the coils on one of my cylinders (0300, 0302 - engine misfiring on cyclinder #2). Question: how hard is it to replace a coil - is this something that could be done at home or highly specialized? Thank you.

ReBell
How do you know it's a coil? It could be a wire or a bad plug(s).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add new plugs and wires installed 16k ago....

and then there are the printouts. Have you ever replaced the coils? ReBell

·
Registered
175 Posts
How do you know it's a coil? It could be a wire or a bad plug(s).
+1

If the OP doesn't mind doing a little diagnostic work, he may want to "move" the problem to another cylinder, if that is possible. The diagnostic error code will confirm it for you. Then the faulty part can be identified with fairly high level of certainty.

Others can chime in as to the level of difficulty for DIY'ers.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
try to switch the coil to a different cylinder and see if the problem goes to that cylinder. if so its the coil, if not has to be the plug or wire to cylinder 2

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...

decided to have my service guy handle the prob. He said the same thing, i.e., he'll witch the coil of cylinder #2 with another & will see if the problem 'moves' with diagnostics.

ReBell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts