Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my front brake pads. After I changed the brake pads one of the calipers was leaking...badly. So, I figured I'd buy a rebuild kit to seal it back up again. Well, after getting the calipers off I realized that one of the pistons in the right side caliper was actually broken. The lip on the front of the piston had broken off. So, it's time for new calipers.

A few questions:

1) I currenly have ATE calipers. Is there a difference in quality between ATE and Bendix? Should I only replace the current calipers with ATE?

2) If you have an opinion, how do you feel about rebuilt calipers?

3) Also, does anyone have a suggestion where to get either new or rebuilt calipers online? I recently purchased rotors and caliper rebuild kit from autohausaz.com. Had a good experience with them.

--Dan in Portland, OR

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
in the autos forum of somethingawful.com the guy whose site is http://www.mbdiesel.net/ just posted a thread about all sorts of stuff he is currently doing (like today current) ((with pics)) to his 300TD, shoot him an email im sure he could help you out

·
Registered
483 Posts
I dont have problems buying rebuilt calipers. It is "new".

I was supposed to replaced my calipers for months, but didn't because it was the winter season. Anyway, the dude I buy parts from told me that if you are replacing one side, you have to replace it with the same brand. But if you are replacing both calipers, then you could change brands.

Ever though of upgrading to the W126 brakes while you're at it?

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already ordered my new calipers from autohausaz.com. I had one good experience with them already when I ordered other brake related items. Ordered the same (ATE) calipers that were on my car. I went with new rather than "rebuilt" because some people in the benz world forums and in other places were adamant about *not* buying rebuilts.

And, no. I hadn't considered 126 calipers. What's the benefit?

Thanks for the replies.
--Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts