Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Mercedes 450SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a place to buy the replacement piezo buzzer in my dash (1980 450 SL). Does anyone where I could buy one?

I thought about getting a generic one at an electronics supply shop, but I don't know what the ratings should be (Voltage, impedance, etc).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I can't find a place to buy the replacement piezo buzzer in my dash (1980 450 SL). Does anyone where I could buy one?
Are you talking about the key/headlight buzzer? If so, that's not really in the dash, it's in a relay under the dash. And I think you'd have to replace the whole relay. FWIW - the same box controls the power to the ignition, so the car won't even turn over with it missing. Get your head under the driver side dash and look toward the firewall, between the steering column and the fender wall. Mounted right next to the firewall, you'll find two fairly large (cigarette pack sized+) silver boxes. One is for the cruise control, and the other holds the key buzzer. If you want to know which is which, unplug them one at a time, and try to start the car. If the car starts up, you've got the cruise disconnected. If the engine won't even click, that's the relay with the buzzer. Just be careful prying the plug loose, it's old and brittle and made of plastic.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
So the sound is a part of the relay then? Damn no wonder I couldn't find one at the junkyard, I didn't know what I was looking for. If I could find one and figure out how to wire it to the healight and door, I'd have a buzzer to remind me when the lights are on and the door is open.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,302 Posts
When I repaired my door-open switches so the courtesy lights would work, one of the unintended consequences was the revival of that annoying buzzer.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
When I repaired my door-open switches so the courtesy lights would work, one of the unintended consequences was the revival of that annoying buzzer.
ditto

·
Registered
1990 SL500 AMG Metallic Blue Black/ Anthracite, '86 El Camino SS, '18 Buick Lakes Modified Roadster
34 Posts
Hi, Everyone - I'm experiencing the same problem, but in another way. I have a 1990 SL 500 AMG, and have inadvertently left the lights on from time to time...am informed there is an idiot buzzer for me, but it's not working. Would I find a similar relay under my dash, and if so, where? This has been annoying me (to the point of requiring a new battery) for far too long....thanks, Barrie N.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Barrie,

Your car is quite a bit different than our 72-89 model SL's. You might try posting over on the R129 Board where you'll find members with cars like yours. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1990 SL500 AMG Metallic Blue Black/ Anthracite, '86 El Camino SS, '18 Buick Lakes Modified Roadster
34 Posts
Barrie,

Your car is quite a bit different than our 72-89 model SL's. You might try posting over on the R129 Board where you'll find members with cars like yours. Good Luck!
Thanks, issie - great idea, I'm still learning my way around the forums (fora?) And just as you say, the 500's have a reputation as being "overengineered and (lucky for me) undervalued" As you can imagine, or experience yourself, a trip to the grocery for a quart of milk is more than worth it...any excuse will do.

regards, and thx again, Barrie

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
153 Posts
back to the LIGHTS-ON buzzer - my car is an 86 300sl and the DOOR OPEN buzzer works well. my problem/question is the same as barrie post #6
have inadvertently left the lights on from time to time...am informed there is an idiot buzzer for me, but it's not working. Would I find a similar relay under my dash, and if so, where?
i've looked under the dash on the driver side and see no silver boxes;
the OPEN DOOR buzzer is somewhere under the under-dash panels near the steering column. it will require a lilliputian contortionist to get under there and remove the panels, so i'm wondering if attaching a piezo buzzer to the low beam fuses would work?
this worked in my w113. wouldn't be very pretty but functional.

·
Registered
1987 560SL AMG, 1977 BMW 533i Turbo
486 Posts
I have one, PM if you are interested.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts