Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced *only* the Bose sub in an M-class? <br>
<br>
On my 02 test drive, I found the rest of the Bose system to be adequate for my needs, but wasn't enamored by the sub at all. Since this is the wife's car, and I have a decent system in my personal car, I wasn't going to go overboard making changes, but if possible, I'd like to swap out the sub.<br>
<br>
Has anyone done this? Is it simple enough? What's the size of the sub (I don't have the car yet, that's why I ask)? If you've done it - were the results decent without swapping amps?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
-J<p>threshold5n.jpmorgan.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stock is an 8" sub I believe. There was one guy who replaced them added an extra amp.

I'll try to search for him and get back to you.<p>gk.un.org

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bose claims that their system is specially tuned for the car and all components are kind of 'integrated' and that's why they don't like the standard comparisons like frequency range or wattage ...<br> <br> ... what it tells to me is, that it is a bundle. Take it complete (if you like it) or take nothing (if you disklike any of the components). By mixing Bose and non Bose stuff, you will probably get inferiour sound quality - even if it was technically doable.<br> <br> For short: Leave it as it is ...<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ist all or nothing !!!!

don't half ass do it, you leave it stock or gut it ALL out. bose is not made to co-exist with aftermarket systems. if you add a sub you will not like it. the bose system is already for lack of a better word bass heavy. the should have put tweeters higher in th dash. <p>spider-ntc-td061.proxy.aol.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have to disagree on that.

My SLK came with the Bose system and I really didnt like the way the highs and mids wereplayed so I replaced the front speakers with a pair of components. I also swapped the Bose amplifier for a Phoenix Gold. However, the rear Bose subwoofers are still the best sounding solution for the SLK. I have tried palcing a sub in the trunk, in the passeenger footwell, I even removed the Bose and installed a pair of JL Audio 6wo's and had a pair of 8's as well. Nothing seemed to beat the Bose in the bass department in my specific car. <br> <br> Basically, all I am trying to say is that in MOST cases you are correct, Bose is crap, but I was suprised by the fact that I have yet to find a better solution for Bass in my SLK other than the Bose.

·
Registered
SLK230 + Scooby Doo
443 Posts
SLK Sound Upgrade

Hi Joe, I am looking to upgrade speakers as I want more bass in my SLK. I have an Alpine 7894 Headunit. If money is no object what should I do next? Cheers!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Surprised it makes any difference because...

If you have a look at the bose website, they claim sound is monitored and adapted, therefore if you put in a massive sub and amp the bose unit would automatically turn it down.

(Is this true?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts