Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I dropped the driveshaft to replace the axle carrier bearing. '66 w110 230. I took the driveshaft apart at the intermediate U joint and found a slotted nut that I need to remove to get to the bearing. It's 39mm across with 6mm tabs 90 degree apart. I tried to turn it after removing the staking with a punch, but no go (I don't want to screw the pooch here). Does anyone know where I can find this tool?

Also, I was going to replace the pinion seal while I was in there. It, too, takes a slotted socket. I would appreciate anyone giving me information as to where I can get these tools. I googled the tool and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
try these guys:

MERCEDES TOOLS TOOL Page (¯`·.¸(¯`·.¸ ZDMAK SPECIAL TOOL STORE ¸.·´¯)¸.·´¯)

also, peach parts dot com has a special tool section.

There is a locking ring that goes on first and then the nut is screwed on and tightened. The locking ring is cupped and once the slotted nut is tightened, the outer ring is bent into one slot. You will see on the original one. Make sure the special tool is for a W110 or W111.

Get some spare crush sleves too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I decided to order the pinion socket. For the intermediate shaft bearing nut (it's actually the nut that retains the yoke) I went ahead and ground down a drift punch to fit the slot. It worked like a charm and saved me $60. The shaft is rebuilt and ready to install once I get the pinion seal renewed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts