Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
290 Posts
I think there is a stock paper-filter option, but I don't think I know any more about it than mabey having seen a picture. Might have been some ag. high-dust option..

The main difference I belive is the amount of vaccum required to pull air through the different types of filters. The oil bath requires quite a bit I think, varying on the weight of oil used of course.

I would test baseline values of intake vaccum before and after the mods if you do go through with it to know for sure. (well I'm curious at least)

I was considering modifying my oil bath to house a K&N style oiled element air filter, but considering the high volume of air required by the engine I belive service intervals would be too short and the filter is kinda inconvient to inspect at a glance.

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
When I first got my mog I had thoughts of replacing the oil bath with a cartrige type filter. I'm glad I didn't. The oil bath, although it's a PIA to clean and service it catches everything that the cartrige filter does plus what the paper/ fiber filter doesn't ,such as rain that gets sucked in.

I also realized that there are diesel mogs in every environment all over the world still using the "old fashioned" oil bath with no problems. I decieded I'd rather spend time doing something other than converting over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts