Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
1985 500SEC - Sold, 1988 300CE, 1991 300E, 1993 300E, 1988 300SEL-crashed, 1986 300E-crashed
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my headlights on my 88 300CE.
I see these on ebay, has anyone tried them?

ITEM: Crystal Style Headlights + Corner Lights

VEHICLE: Mercedes-Benz W124 E-Class
(US Models with 5-Pin Only
Headlights Wiper Blade will Need to be Removed)

YEARS: 1985-1993

COLOR: Chrome Housing Clear Lens Clear Reflector

BRAND: iKon AutoParts

If so, I would be very interested in the opinions of how easily they install, final looks, and brightness etc.
Thanks.

Premium Member
2016 E350 wagon; 1994 E320 wagon
I've installed Depo brand aftermarket lights on several different cars, they were a very close match to stock, and fit quite well. I've seen other chinese lights that were junk, but I'm not familiar with Ikon.

Registered
1985 500SEC - Sold, 1988 300CE, 1991 300E, 1993 300E, 1988 300SEL-crashed, 1986 300E-crashed
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

I've installed Depo brand aftermarket lights on several different cars, they were a very close match to stock, and fit quite well. I've seen other chinese lights that were junk, but I'm not familiar with Ikon.
Thanks Volvo

Has anyone tried these or seen them installed?

W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 95 320TE 02 S500
Stick with Depo branded euro knock offs. Glass lens, perfect fit.. However, it is your car and your money. Makes no real difference what any of us think. Remember that the euro type replacements have a 6 position plug vs the stock 4 position plug. If you have a pull yard nearby, go there and get a pair of 124 rear light plugs...same 6 position plug you'll need for the conversion. Use the search function for wire placement in the revised plug. You'll only use 4 positions. Just sequenced differently than stock.

Good Luck

Registered
The Clear DEPO

I want to upgrade my headlights on my 88 300CE.
I see these on ebay, has anyone tried them?

ITEM: Crystal Style Headlights + Corner Lights

VEHICLE: Mercedes-Benz W124 E-Class
(US Models with 5-Pin Only
Headlights Wiper Blade will Need to be Removed)

YEARS: 1985-1993

COLOR: Chrome Housing Clear Lens Clear Reflector

BRAND: iKon AutoParts

I put the clear depo ones on my 91 300e but latter put the newer hood on it . They are a cheep set of lights ,, the backs fit poorly. I do have the other glass depo lights to go on the 300ce and they seem a better fit on the back part of the lights . I found a nice set of bosch glass headlights off a 95 300te and the wiper-less bottom pieces . I have made the original bottom metal pieces flat in the picture . The glass depo lights are ok .

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Stick with Depo branded euro knock offs. Glass lens, perfect fit.. However, it is your car and your money. Makes no real difference what any of us think. Remember that the euro type replacements have a 6 position plug vs the stock 4 position plug. If you have a pull yard nearby, go there and get a pair of 124 rear light plugs...same 6 position plug you'll need for the conversion. Use the search function for wire placement in the revised plug. You'll only use 4 positions. Just sequenced differently than stock.

Good Luck
Thanks for the input Jayare.

I have looked at Depo too, and read many posts around here about them. I tried to find them to purchase complete with the side markers, but could only find them separate. Then I came across these Ikon, complete with side lamps and for a good bit less. So I am just wondering if any members here have actually purchased and installed them. Most new cars have plastic lens covers nowadays, so that part does not really concern me. And although I want a nice look, it does not have to be the original look. I want them to fit without a lot of fabrication and be bright.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the clear depo ones on my 91 300e but latter put the newer hood on it . They are a cheep set of lights ,, the backs fit poorly. I do have the other glass depo lights to go on the 300ce and they seem a better fit on the back part of the lights . I found a nice set of bosch glass headlights off a 95 300te and the wiper-less bottom pieces . I have made the original bottom metal pieces flat in the picture . The glass depo lights are ok .
Thanks joes. Those look nice. So with the Depo brand, you had to fabricate the metal pieces under the lights?

Registered
04 G500, 01 S430, 00 E55, 90 300TE
I believe the DEPO lights that the other members are referencing are this style, a copy of the original european 86-95 headlights?

if you're interested I do have a set of used pre-facelift Bosch euro lights I'm willing to part with :thumbsup:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, those are what I have seen online

I believe the DEPO lights that the other members are referencing are this style, a copy of the original european 86-95 headlights?

if you're interested I do have a set of used pre-facelift Bosch euro lights I'm willing to part with :thumbsup:
Thanks komrade. Those you pictured are the Depo lights I saw online. I could not find them together with the side lights. And thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could afford the originals right now. I only plan to use this car as a driver for 2 or so years anyway. (My 500 is my baby)

Registered
Fixing the opening for the wiper

Thanks joes. Those look nice. So with the Depo brand, you had to fabricate the metal pieces under the lights?
I used the stock parts , just put a backing on them , with JB weld , then fill in the original cut out up with JB weld , it could be done with body filler but it has held up well .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wipers

I used the stock parts , just put a backing on them , with JB weld , then fill in the original cut out up with JB weld , it could be done with body filler but it has held up well .
The Ikon ad states the wipers will need to be removed also. I wonder if it is the exact same light, just re-branded. The pictures on ebay look really close to the ones in your pictures.

Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
The Ikon ad states the wipers will need to be removed also. I wonder if it is the exact same light, just re-branded. The pictures on ebay look really close to the ones in your pictures.
None of the Euro style lights are made to work with the USA spec wiper system. Doesn't matter if they are OE Bosch, DEPO, quality Chinese or cheap Chinese. the wiper motor mount is in the wrong place for the motor and arm combination to have the correct sweep.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wiper

None of the Euro style lights are made to work with the USA spec wiper system. Doesn't matter if they are OE Bosch, DEPO, quality Chinese or cheap Chinese. the wiper motor mount is in the wrong place for the motor and arm combination to have the correct sweep.
So can you just remove the wiper and leave the metal plate then? And find something to fill in the hole? Or you have to modify the plate to get it to stay?

W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 95 320TE 02 S500
When you remove the stock headlight assemblies, the wiper motors come with them. The filler plates can either stay as is, with holes, be replaced by junk yard acquired E260 filler plates that did not come with wipers or purchase new filler plates.

Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
USA pre facelift to Euro Pre facelift

So can you just remove the wiper and leave the metal plate then? And find something to fill in the hole? Or you have to modify the plate to get it to stay?
As far as wipers, if you are installing a PRE-Facelift headlight that can take wipers, you need the Euro Pre-facelift wipers OR USA Facelift wipers.

I'll attach a couple of pictures to show the difference, I did this a long time ago, all in an ols thread.

Also you should do the electrical connections right, by getting euro 6 pin connectors, don't splice wires etc. (One of the tail light connectors, (passenger side is the same connector you need).

Picture attached as well to show how to simply move the pins from the USA 4 pin to Euro 6 Pin...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks

As far as wipers, if you are installing a PRE-Facelift headlight that can take wipers, you need the Euro Pre-facelift wipers OR USA Facelift wipers.

I'll attach a couple of pictures to show the difference, I did this a long time ago, all in an ols thread.

Also you should do the electrical connections right, by getting euro 6 pin connectors, don't splice wires etc. (One of the tail light connectors, (passenger side is the same connector you need).

Picture attached as well to show how to simply move the pins from the USA 4 pin to Euro 6 Pin...
Thanks Aero. I am pretty sure my wipers do not function anyway, but I don't think the Ikon lights would allow me to keep them.

Thanks for the input guys, helpful information, but against your better judgements, I am going to try the Ikon lights first. They said I could return them if they don't fit right, so I will not do anything during install that is not reversible. I just can't spring 250 or 300 for the Euros right now. If I can figure out how to put up a picture, I will do that here if they turn out decent. Even if they fit and are bright, I am certain they will not have the cool look of the euro lights, but that's ok. They will still look better than what is on there currently. I only plan to keep the car for 2 - 3 years anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.