Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL 114,000
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it looks like my grand prix tape deck is fried,,,,im going to replace with a cd deck,,,and might as well do the speakers too,,,do you folks have any recomendations for cd decks that will not be to obnoxious in my 87 420 sel,,,would like to stay low key if possible,,,also does anyone know the speakers dimentions, size wise....i appreciate all the help ive recieved here,,,,thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Most CD-decks can be made to fit our cars, it is more of a question of what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, a lot of products out there have really gaudy lights and obnoxious graphics on the face plates. You may want to have a look at some Blaupunkt units if you a looking for something a little more subdued and classic. The Nakamichi units aren't too bad looking either, a bit pricey though.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I used to be a fan of Blaupunkt, but after replacing some of their top of the line head units w/ similarly priced clarion and alpine units I was astounded at the improvement in sound quality.

A big part of the equation is how much do you want to put into this set up?

Jonathan
--

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Just wire the blue wire (on most head units) to the wire leading to your antenna switch.. IF my memory is working I think it's a blue wire (perhaps w/ a tracer..) on the MB as well.

Very easy.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2006 500SE, 1972 280SE
345 Posts
thanks.

I notice that when I turn my radio on (I have the stock Becker Grand Prix deck), the antenna goes up about 1/4 the way up and stops. I always need to extend it fully using the antenna switch on the console. Is there a way to control how much of the antenna will be deployed by default upon powering up the stereo? I can't just keep the antenna Max switch on because I hear the antenna "grind" once it reaches full-extension (and the electric motor keeps running even after the antenna is fully extended).

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL 114,000
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info on the antenna,,i wouldnt have given it a thought till i got a new radio,,,i contacted my local MB dealer and he suggested installing a new radio,,,then determining if the stock speakers have had it,,,he tells me the back speakers on my 420sel are a pain to replace because of size,,,anyone had good or bad experiences with the stock speakers,,,,,,thanks folks

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL 114,000
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info on the antenna,,i wouldnt have given it a thought till i got a new radio,,,i contacted my local MB dealer and he suggested installing a new radio,,,then determining if the stock speakers have had it,,,he tells me the back speakers on my 420sel are a pain to replace because of size,,,anyone had good or bad experiences with the stock speakers,,,,,,thanks folks

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Yeah, the back speakers can be a bit of a pain as they have a special mounting rim and there is relatively little space underneath the shelf.

Basically, the speakers are 6.5" and with a little bit of work, a standard set of speakers can be swapped for the original ones. Alpine, Pioneer, MB Quart, they all have 6.5" replacement units from $60 to more than $300 per pair. It really depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Remember to remove the rear seat before you lift the speaker covers.[8)]

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
hey

i just put a subwoofer in the trunk of my 300sd, (3- infinity 1203s) and i was wondering if anyone had recommendations on running air ports or something like that in the deck? Maybe throu those storage compartments? Also any reccomendations on trunk padding to dampen the sound outside the car?

Kris

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Dynamat is the way to go!! I have removed the rear parcel shelves to provide better airflow, but I have not got around to the custom install yet. I won't be using my Infinity Perfect's either, so I need to work on getting the JL Audio W6 V2s first!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
can you reccomend me a Dynamat package for my 300SD's trunk?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
JamesDean - 2/15/2005 7:22 AM

can you reccomend me a Dynamat package for my 300SD's trunk?
The Dynamat trunk kit!! You can get it for 199usd installed. Includes 2 pieces of Dynamat extreme and 3 pieces of regular Dynamat, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
cool, I'll probably do the installing my self rather than pay someone..Cash is rare these days. Lol

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Another thought, I may install a switch to turn off the subs. I was thinking of just using that Rear-Window Lock switch, you know? I mean i never use it to lock the rear windows. Thoughts ?

·
Registered
01 E320 w/120k
81 Posts
i just replace my old beaten up blaupunkt with an Alpine CDA 9827: cd & mp3 player, am/fm, yadda yadda.
it sounds and looks great, nice simple classy face and fits the car wonderfully. and though i thought it was a little more than superfluous at first, the remote is great and rather handy.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Old Otto - 2/15/2005 5:42 PM

i just replace my old beaten up blaupunkt with an Alpine CDA 9827: cd & mp3 player, am/fm, yadda yadda.
it sounds and looks great, nice simple classy face and fits the car wonderfully. and though i thought it was a little more than superfluous at first, the remote is great and rather handy.
Good luck with your Alpine headunit!! Not to scare you or anything, but I am on my third in 4 years!! CDA 9831 was my most recent acquistion, but I got my CDA 9813 back in now. The 9831 didn't quite do it for me, so I sold it. I do miss the Alpine Amplifier controls though, they were great!!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL 114,000
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
axel how do you remove the rear seats and why,,are the speaker covers under the top edge of seats?? thanks for all your input

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
FryFar,

In order to remove the seat backs you first have to remove the bottom sear. It is fairly simple, there are two levers below front of the seat, push those outward and lift the seat bottoms out. Then take the seat backs and slide them upwards and lift those out.

Now you have access to the speaker covers. You remove those by sliding them forward. The speaker covers are held in place by hooks in the back and pin in the front. You'll probably find that the foam underneath the speaker grills have disintegrated (or at least turned very dry and brittle) so you may want to remove/replace that as well.

Once the speaker covers are off, things should be fairly obvious as everything is accessed from the top (you don't have any access from underneath...).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts