Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i might start a key repair service. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff and some mercedes key cloning tools. Since us 98-99 mercedes owners are stuck without a possibility of getting replacment keys. I am getting some circuit boards and key housings and have someone who cuts mb keys. Now its not going to be cheap, i am going to dedicate some time to this and offer services. I also ordering the one for the key fob version $4500 for legit german key cloning tools. The w163/r129/140/210/202 should be easier i am getting blank security modules and remotes. Each blank is $150 so once it all works i will let you guys know. I ordered 50 chrome key blanks for modern benzs because i already know how to do that one.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
As an owner of a 1 key 2000 R129 I am interested in your progress.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing that drives me to do this is i have purchased a w210 e420 with 57,000miles without keys that we started with some hackery (swapping modules and keys with my friends car) and I haven’t driven it for over 6 months. I am also thinking about making retrofit modules for 92-97 to have 3 button remotes but i will need a pre 98 car to test it on.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sad thing is mb Germany is still producing keys. As of right now what i think i will be doing is a key and security module combo according to my contact that is going to be the easiest for these older benzs. I ordered all the tools and modules lets see how it goes. Because the 92-99 all have the same modules so my best bet is the 3/4 button flip key will be able to transfer over (i will test it out on a 97 s600). I prefer the 3 button flip keys that are offered in Europe without the panic button (i actually ordered those keys). I might program out the immobilizer depending on how reliable it is. That way we don’t get a start error message i will test multiple scenarios because if anyone really wants to hot wire a older benz its not hard all you need is access to the ignition tumbler electrical connector and a fuel pump fuse by pass (thats how i move my w210 currently lol)

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still cannot believe that Mercedes is really leaving us high and dry on this.
I have called North America's head office regarding this and there response was sorry and we cannot do anything about it. I can get vin decoded keys from Germany but what good does that do, if the flashed remote doesnt work you are out of $400 and it cannot be reprogrammed. Blank flip keys are literally $150 and i have someone who can laser cut them for $25.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm in

Ruthless, we emailed about those metal T fittings but your email is buried somewhere. 97 S600 test car....good, because that's what I have. See page 6 or so of my thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2803426-new-97-s600-coupe-issues-comprehensive-6.html

TL DR, runaround from every angle and NO options on the aftermarket currently for our cars. For 98-99s: There IS a source in NC for these (Beckmann). Talked to them today and it sounds like the pre-98 project has been spitballed but ultimately back-burnered if not fully mothballed.

The one key I have to start my $15k of restoration-dollars investment looks like the last guy's dog (who lied about having 2 keys and books) chewed on it for dinner.

PM me if you want. Let's figure something out. I'm in NC so my car won't be at your place in person, will have to figure it out remotely (no pun intended)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thank You

I have called North America's head office regarding this and there response was sorry and we cannot do anything about it. I can get vin decoded keys from Germany but what good does that do, if the flashed remote doesnt work you are out of $400 and it cannot be reprogrammed. Blank flip keys are literally $150 and i have someone who can laser cut them for $25.
I wanted to thank you for all of us wanting to keep our beloved W140s as long as we can. The list of NLA (no longer available) parts are growing for our cars and appreciate you doing the research and work to develop solutions.

Seth

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys my email address is [email protected] sorry if I dont respond immediately i work 3 jobs right now. I am caregiver at nights, working in the pharmacy in the morning and weekends at a mechanic shop plus i go to a university full time. But I did order the key tools for program but my source in Germany takes about 2-3 months to ship. I already got one key blank without the panic button i am going to test all possible solutions for us older benz owners.

Realistically mercedes screwed up big time but I know what there plans they are going to bring keys as high dollar items in the future I remember another car manufacturer doing something similar as mark up gimmick. Because the same exact key fob is still in use for sprinters i have purchased a used sprinter key to cut open and guess what same frequency different immobilzer which might even be the updated version. Honestly the immobilizer is useless on these older benz since the key blade is security cut. I am going to program some security modules to have immobilizer delete and see if i can program the remotes directly with the modules. It honestly isn’t about making money mercedes is not taking the customer into consideration. A key fob was $280-400 and they would charge you an extra $200 to “program” it your car (some dealers did it for $100 and all they would do is start your car with the key and make 80-250$).

I paid $600 for a key on my s55 and they messed up the order and my keyless go never worked. Because they ordered the wrong and billed me for keyless go but ordered a regular key and charged $300 for programming that never worked. So I basically paid $900 for a regular key went in talked to manager got a full refund and kept the key he said he was suprised I complained most customers would have thought there is something wrong with their car and have taken the loss.

·
7,943 Posts
I'm on a steep learning curve with W140s and still not fully versed on the keys saga but would this help?

MERCEDES-BENZ W140 (91-99) CL & S-CLASS - United Auto Security, LLC
Remember, our cars do not have electrical solenoids that unlock/lock the car, so these aftermarket alarms do not work as one needs to send CAN-Bus signals to talk to the rest of the car. One can still get keys at the dealer. What one CANNOT get are the key-fobs with a key.

Understand the 722.6 transmission equipped cars(Any model Mercedes that uses a mechanical key to start the car) have a transponder chip in the black key head, and in the key fob.

The 722.6 cars have a electrical pick-up coil ring around the key tumbler. The chrome ring sticks-out about 1/4" past the key tumbler. The early cars do not have this.

Martin

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Martin you cannot get keys with immobilizer its done and over. The only key you can get is the key blade for remotes. No immobilizer thats what the whole issue is you can open your car door but not start it. These immobilizer chips themselves are not easy to clone no locksmith in my area can do it properly.

·
7,943 Posts
Martin you cannot get keys with immobilizer its done and over. The only key you can get is the key blade for remotes. No immobilizer thats what the whole issue is you can open your car door but not start it. These immobilizer chips themselves are not easy to clone no locksmith in my area can do it properly.

Wow, Just several months ago one could go buy a key with the chip in it..

Well, I guess it is time to capture the CAN-Bus stream, and replicate the stream ..

Martin

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the market is dry and to get a copy key made is $500ish for the key fob. And regular transponder key is like $200 since its a benz key. I usd to know someone that can do do regular start keys for $80 but ever since the junkyard closed down the guy disappeared

·
1,600 Posts
It sounds like this is an opportunity for some aftermarket supplier to take over the market, similar to the way Becker Autosound in NJ is supporting all the old OEM audio equipment.

They'd need to negotiate with MB to get access to whatever is necessary to produce the keys (VIN database? coding? no idea) and they'd just be the semi-official third party aftermarket supplier for key fobs. It could be a decent enough business too, as these cars aren't really going anywhere and the demand for new keys will continue for the foreseeable future.

I still find it completely insane that MB is just abandoning this completely. They brag about the how the Classic Center supports every car Mercedes has ever made, but apparently keys are just too much for them to handle.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ruthless,

Does your latest post indicate a snag in your plans or is this just general info to add? Are you still able to get the keys and produce these with the cloning software you have on order? I want a fob, and a regular key as backup. I'm in. I'll email you.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to learn how to duplicate remote keys for the older mercedes. I really want to ditch the transponder system i will see once everything comes in a few months.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My key blanks freshly cut by my key guy not bad for $25 a pop plus it actually works smoother then my oem key. Got my 2 virigin remotes without blades and transpoders. Now we wait for the equipent to program keys to cars.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
khomer2
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing