Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my `99 SL500 I was given 3 key/remotes. One like a credit card works 100%. The second with the flick blade works 100%. The 3rd, a second flick blade manually opens and starts the car however the remote does not work even with new batteries. I have now got my hands on a working remote from another car on which I can easily swap my cars key blade. Can I get the remote to work myself or is this a dealer only thing. I know on some cars you can go through a sequence of opening door and windows to sync a remote to the car if you have a working one but cant find any info to do this on a SL.

·
Registered
Lexus LX470 06, Mercedes SL500 98 Sport pkg Panorama roof, Audi RS4 07
70 Posts
This is what I will find out too in 2 weeks, I placed an order one month ago at the local MB dealer. Just found out the other day that they mixed it up, cancelled etc. Re-ordered and I'm getting the key in two weeks. Basically same story - my only flip key works manually, but the remote is dead and battery replacement does not make a difference.

I have limited experience with the MB dealerships, got my SL about a month ago. But so far I got mixed feelings - the parts and services sort of works, but slow, mix-ups (multiple), so far I could say they are just OK. Is this other people experience as well or just me?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If I remember correctly, all you need is to sync the remote with your car. Since I don't know how to do it, I let the dealer did that for me last time I bought a new key a few years ago.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Someone else may be able to confirm this but to sync the unit you insert key and turn on the ignition and hold the remote button down for a few seconds. I am waiting for a new remote also, maybe they are backordered?

Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's ridiculously easy. Aim the transmitter (your remote) at any of the receivers and press the button as if you were unlocking the car. Nothing will happen. Then use the key to unlock any door or trunk lock within 30 seconds. That's it. The key is programmed.

·
Registered
sl320,600SL,230GE
52 Posts
That's does sound easy. How do you change the blade as I did manage to get another used remote, but need to change the key to fit my car.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No luck so far

In reply to dc98354, its dead easy, open the key so the blade is at right angles to the remote. You will see a small hole at the end of the key blade, use a thick pin or similar to push through the pin inside to release the key blade. To all the other replies thanks unfortunately the key and remote fail to sync with your suggestions so any further tips welcome. I understand my remote has a "transponder" within if this makes a difference

·
Registered
sl320,600SL,230GE
52 Posts
Thanks, Can someone please tell me where I can get a new key blade (blank or coded)beside the dealer. I rang my local dealer and they said they only sell the complete unit, remote and all (around us$390).

·
Registered
56 Posts
to Wayne,

The directions for programming the remote was right out of my owners manual for a 1994 SL 320. I did a new one 2 weeks ago and it programmed as advertised. Maybe it was TOO easy and logical so they changed it by 1999. Check your owners manual under 'infrared remote' for programming directions. Also, double check that the batteries are inserted correctly and they have adequate voltage. New doesn't always mean charged. To dc98354, you are getting hosed! I just paid around $205 US from a MB dealer in Vancouver, B.C. for a new IR remote master key.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 345,000 miles
1,737 Posts
akoch said:
This is what I will find out too in 2 weeks, I placed an order one month ago at the local MB dealer. Just found out the other day that they mixed it up, cancelled etc. Re-ordered and I'm getting the key in two weeks. Basically same story - my only flip key works manually, but the remote is dead and battery replacement does not make a difference.

I have limited experience with the MB dealerships, got my SL about a month ago. But so far I got mixed feelings - the parts and services sort of works, but slow, mix-ups (multiple), so far I could say they are just OK. Is this other people experience as well or just me?
I've been a regular customer at both of my local Mercedes dealerships for several years now, and only a couple of times have I run into problems. And when they do mess something up, they always make it up to me and go above and beyond.

Since most Mercedes dealerships are just franchises owned by wealthy individuals, your mileage may vary at every dealer you visit, but the key is to get to know the people that work there and you have a much better chance of getting good service. :)

·
Registered
Lexus LX470 06, Mercedes SL500 98 Sport pkg Panorama roof, Audi RS4 07
70 Posts
Well, afaik (at least in Canada) the MB dealership actually belongs to the MB itself, not franchized out.... I would not say they are bad or anything, I've had a lexus for the last 9 years (still have) and only getting used to the MB now.

Anyway, got my key today, they rectified it. Pairing was easy - I am not sure which step worked but I pressed the unlock button, unlocked the door with the key and quickly started the engine. After this the remote started to work and all is good.

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
1988 560SL (previously), 1990 560SEL, 1994 E320 Wagon, 2003 SLK320
11 Posts
replacement remote control programmed

I just received 2 new keys for my 2003 SLK320. The procedure of pressing the unlock button on the remote, then starting the car worked perfectly for both.

Thanks,
Maverick

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
If you are synching the remote that has been designated for your car, this procedure will work. You cannot however synchronize another car's remote to operate your cars locking system as they are matched units per car and are not re-programable, like garage door openers are.

·
Registered
1990 500sl, 1993 bmw 850i, 1989 300se
10 Posts
i have a '90 500sl and am trying to sync a new remote that i baught off ebay. i have tried everything on the forum listed to sync the remote but nothing works. any ideas

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,565 Posts
i have a '90 500sl and am trying to sync a new remote that i baught off ebay. i have tried everything on the forum listed to sync the remote but nothing works. any ideas
You have wasted your money my friend.
Go to the dealer and order one, you need the Vin# and registration.
That's how Mercedes wants it.
Oh, you will get a key with it $155.00.

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
On my car the procedure was slightly different, unlock the car with the key, then within a few seconds aim the infrared at the receiver and press the button. Worked for me :).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to see someone has done a search and resurrected this thread. I was never able to DIY a fix so still have one remote that does not work. I have seen many kits advertised on ebay in the US and much cheaper in Germany which comes with 2 remotes and a whole new alarm module specifically for the R129. This may be a cost effective way to get a whole new setup using the key blade and transponder from the old remote for newer cars. I would love to hear if anyone has fitted one of these kits, anyone done this? Please let us know. KS2-G Klappschlüssel-Funkfernbedienung Mercedes SL R129 bei eBay.de: Autoelektrik (endet 09.11.07 16:47:43 MEZ)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixing remotes

If you are in the UK, and your remote is broken I can usually fix it.

Cost is £39.50 UK. You post it to me with a cheque / Postal Order. I only cash the cheque if I complete the mission.

If I can't I post it back to you (at my cost) with the uncashed cheque.

Make sure you include your postal address, and e-mail (so I can acknowledge receipt and update you) with the key!

Normally takes about 10 days, depending on workload. I am based in Cheshire, UK.

e-mail me: [email protected]

·
Registered
1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
230 Posts
If anyone has a remote that doesn't work and wants to get rid of it, I need one. My 2nd key works (remote and all) but the plastic case is broken and taped together. Not a high priority as it's my spare key and kept at home just in case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts