Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
01 E320 w/120k
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

well, i just brought the 300sd to my friend who is a mechanic at a MB dealership.

he went over several things i need:

front and rear brake pads
rear shocks
motor mounts
voltage regulator
and belts

now here's where it gets ugly
he told me the prices from the dealership for these parts. i mean hes going to charge me what he pays for them and hes not looking to rip me off, but i must say they were alot more expensive then i was expecting.
when he called and told me the prices he seemed embarassed and mentioned that he would get some prices for me from a guy he knows who sells after-market parts. though he said this, it seemed that he was concerned with the quality of the after-market parts compared to the MB parts and would be more comfortable going with the MB parts if i could afford it.

so how do u guys feel? is he brainwashed by MB? is there really that much of difference in a motor mount or brake pad?

now i know his dealership sells the bosch voltage regulator for $69 and i saw it on a website for $30ish.

does MB make brake pads, motor mounts etc . . . or are these made by bosch and others?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has a horror story from shying away from the MB parts, please let me know or vice versa.

thanks ahead of time,
gordon

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Hey Gordon
Shop around first I suggest you go with parts that have a warranty and if you can't find em get it Benz.
Auto Zone has a good deal on brakes & belts, life time I think.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Old Otto - 4/29/2005 3:35 PM

hello all,

well, i just brought the 300sd to my friend who is a mechanic at a MB dealership.

he went over several things i need:

front and rear brake pads
rear shocks
motor mounts
voltage regulator
and belts

now here's where it gets ugly
he told me the prices from the dealership for these parts. i mean hes going to charge me what he pays for them and hes not looking to rip me off, but i must say they were alot more expensive then i was expecting.
when he called and told me the prices he seemed embarassed and mentioned that he would get some prices for me from a guy he knows who sells after-market parts. though he said this, it seemed that he was concerned with the quality of the after-market parts compared to the MB parts and would be more comfortable going with the MB parts if i could afford it.

so how do u guys feel? is he brainwashed by MB? is there really that much of difference in a motor mount or brake pad?

now i know his dealership sells the bosch voltage regulator for $69 and i saw it on a website for $30ish.

does MB make brake pads, motor mounts etc . . . or are these made by bosch and others?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has a horror story from shying away from the MB parts, please let me know or vice versa.

thanks ahead of time,
gordon
Mercedes buys their parts from suppliers. These suppliers sometimes sell the identical parts under different brand names at much lower pricing. The major problem with buying paarts, is knowing which manufacturers make that specific item in a high quality.Ask Jonathan on this forum, as he only sells the best part available for each specific application.

I'd be wary of buying my items from anyone than my mechanic in many cases. The reason being that many mechanics will raise the labor costs if you don't purchase the part from them, negating any savings that you thought could be had. Keep in mind that most mechanics rely on making money on both parts and labor and take a dim view of customers who bring in their own parts.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
MRTIKKET - 4/29/2005 8:31 PM

Ask Jonathan on this forum, as he only sells the best part available for each specific application.
Thanks, I won't sell it if I wouldn't put it on my own car..and I HATE double work;-)

Jonathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts