1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL600, Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
List,

One of my bulbs on the 2002 ML500 went out [:9]
I was able to remove the cover to the bulb, but was having a hard time trying to unplug the connector from the bulb and remove the bulb from its holder.
Is there any trick to doing that...

Any advise is appreciated.

Regards,
CKT

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some people can do it in situ, I can't, I have to remove the complete assembly.

I don't much mind as it is very important not to touch the bulb glass to avoid shortening the bulb life.

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
I agree it is way easier to change the bulb if you take out the headlight assembly. Once you can really see what is happening inside it's easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand....have no problem getting to the bulb...just having a hard time unpluging the connector from the bulb and removing the buld from the housing..
Any idea on how?

CKT

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
CKT - there is a "U" shaped spring steel wire clip that holds the bulb in place, very similar to a typical H4 style headlight or most driving lights - if you've never seen that before, then you'll have to go by feel. The connector also sounds like it is corroded to the bulb prongs.

1. Remove the HL bulb cover
2. Reach into the exposed bulb/connector area and you should "feel" the wire spring clip at the base of the bulb, just ahead of the connector
3. push on the ends of the "U" - PUSH forward on the ends and just "wiggle" and you should free the spring ends from the HL unit
4. this should allow the spring clip to swing out of the way (it stays fixed to the HL unit) so you can remove the bulb.
5. use a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry the connector away from the bulb.

Installation is reverse, but if you use a little dielectric grease on the bulb prongs it will make it easier to remove next time around.

I always find it is very tight to reinstall that "U" spring clip, but make sure it is properly seated or else the bulb will not be aimed properly. Make sure the rubber gasket on the plastic cover is intact too - if moisture gets in, the HL will fog, the bulb will probably not last as long, and the connector will corrode for sure!

I find that the H7 bulbs burn out pretty regularly every 24 months or so on my 98 - hope they last longer in the 2005 ML!

good luck - hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jangr320,

thx for the instruction..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts