Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have to vent, please excuse me. I have 2 Sl's and one of them...I have no keys. Been sitting for well over a year. My bad for having lost the keys....actually...not shifting the blame....but had some very young toddlers at the house and we can only guess that one of them got ahold of the remote and where it went...who knows.
Still, I am extremely disappointed with the upper elcheon at MB who won't do squat about this. This is their fault for dropping the ball...the supplier did not just up and quit making these remotes. Notice was given by the supplier to cease production and upper management did not head it off.
Seriously? Three members have just posted getting keys from independent locksmiths and you want to sit without a key ?

If seems that some just want to hear yourself complain , rather than actually get your key made !! There’s like three of you I believe still beating this dead horse . Go out and find an independent Mercedes locksmith and get a key made !

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Ditto

Seriously? Three members have just posted getting keys from independent locksmiths and you want to sit without a key ?

If seems that some just want to hear yourself complain , rather than actually get your key made !! There’s like three of you I believe still beating this dead horse . Go out and find an independent Mercedes locksmith and get a key made !
I was about to say the same thing. My cars are "Almost" all from CA. I look for very nice rust free examples and I have no problem having them shipped to NY. When folks ask me why I spend extra money for shipping these rust free cars, most just give me a funny look, when I explain my willingness to pay extra to drive a nice rust free example.

Look at it like it's just another "Desirable Option", for example; SP1 package - check, SP2 package - check, custom installed E55 monoblocks - check, replacement high-end radio - check, shipping a Rust free car from LA, CA - Hmm, maybe, and last but not least, shipping to get a key made and driving it, or walking around a 4000 lb. paper weight for the next several months-years - Hmmm, what to do?

Applying this logic to having no key at all, I would be on the phone yesterday confirming the validity of the replacement key claim, and once confirmed, my SL would be on a transport to the locksmith.

Expensive and should be unnecessary, agreed, but I would be driving it again in a month, and posting here another success story about getting a key made.

If you needed $2000 dollars worth of engine work done to drive your SL again, what would you do, leave it parked? I guess some would, as evidenced by many broken MB's for sale or parted out.

How about needing a brake job, a new set of tires and alignment? Would you let the SL sit and not drive it ever again for that amount of work?

How about a new set of tasteful rims and new tires, happens all the time.

Not to take away your argument about the greed of corporations, it is true that Bean counters don't give a crap, it's all bottom line. They probably can't see a "return on the investment". Making new keys for us isn't going to sell $50 - $100K cars, and that really sux.

This no FOB/key thing BTW, is just the Tip of the Iceberg. Something 500E owners are quickly becoming aware of is that many very important replacement parts are NLA.

More 500E owners are finding this out because they really go above and beyond maintaining these cars. How about the vacuum pods to control your HVAC vents? I bet at least one of the 7 needed are NLA. I know the center pod for sending A/C to the center vent on 500E's are NLA, and the list of NLA parts gets longer every year.

Go do your homework, find a locksmith that will guarantee a working key, and get'r done. Life is too short to sit on the bench and watch others play...

PS: see the Bornite 500E with 3 piece OZ's in my signature? That car was in Dubai, it's a 92 and probably the first non USA market 500E to be imported (legally as exempt from grey market). Within months of it turning 25 years old in 2017, I had it shipped and on the docks in New Jersey. A lot of international calls were made to make that happen and a month after being released by customs, I was driving it and had the OZ's mounted. For the costs of shipping from Dubai and the OZ's, I probably could have bought another SL. It's all about motivation and cost, can you afford $1000 plus key , and how motivated are you?

Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Mercedes current motto is: "The Best or Nothing".

It appears on these NLA keys, so far, they are doing the latter.

I was about to say the same thing. My cars are "Almost" all from CA. I look for very nice rust free examples and I have no problem having them shipped to NY. When folks ask me why I spend extra money for shipping these rust free cars, most just give me a funny look, when I explain my willingness to pay extra to drive a nice rust free example.

Look at it like it's just another "Desirable Option", for example; SP1 package - check, SP2 package - check, custom installed E55 monoblocks - check, replacement high-end radio - check, shipping a Rust free car from LA, CA - Hmm, maybe, and last but not least, shipping to get a key made and driving it, or walking around a 4000 lb. paper weight for the next several months-years - Hmmm, what to do?

Applying this logic to having no key at all, I would be on the phone yesterday confirming the validity of the replacement key claim, and once confirmed, my SL would be on a transport to the locksmith.

Expensive and should be unnecessary, agreed, but I would be driving it again in a month, and posting here another success story about getting a key made.

If you needed $2000 dollars worth of engine work done to drive your SL again, what would you do, leave it parked? I guess some would, as evidenced by many broken MB's for sale or parted out.

How about needing a brake job, a new set of tires and alignment? Would you let the SL sit and not drive it ever again for that amount of work?

How about a new set of tasteful rims and new tires, happens all the time.

Not to take away your argument about the greed of corporations, it is true that Bean counters don't give a crap, it's all bottom line. They probably can't see a "return on the investment". Making new keys for us isn't going to sell $50 - $100K cars, and that really sux.

This no FOB/key thing BTW, is just the Tip of the Iceberg. Something 500E owners are quickly becoming aware of is that many very important replacement parts are NLA.

More 500E owners are finding this out because they really go above and beyond maintaining these cars. How about the vacuum pods to control your HVAC vents? I bet at least one of the 7 needed are NLA. I know the center pod for sending A/C to the center vent on 500E's are NLA, and the list of NLA parts gets longer every year.

Go do your homework, find a locksmith that will guarantee a working key, and get'r done. Life is too short to sit on the bench and watch others play...

PS: see the Bornite 500E with 3 piece OZ's in my signature? That car was in Dubai, it's a 92 and probably the first non USA market 500E to be imported (legally as exempt from grey market). Within months of it turning 25 years old in 2017, I had it shipped and on the docks in New Jersey. A lot of international calls were made to make that happen and a month after being released by customs, I was driving it and had the OZ's mounted. For the costs of shipping from Dubai and the OZ's, I probably could have bought another SL. It's all about motivation and cost, can you afford $1000 plus key , and how motivated are you?

Good Luck...

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,141 Posts
I'm really disappointed in the previous two holier-than-thou replies to this issue. I am also disappointed in the extortion charge to get a key made. That said, I'm glad I have two transponder keys and aftermarket functional fobs, so I'm not one of the "three", but I do sympathsize with those in the plight. I have not reported publicly before, and will not now, but I have it on authority that there is a means of disabling the DAS, and I don't think it requires $400 or shipping a car to a locksmith. Pm for details but understand this: I have not confirmed, and will not divulge source for the individual's protection.

Really, ship a dead car plus $400 or more for a key? Ridiculous doesn't even start to describe it! Oh, and as for $2000 engine repair, many diy, and it is hardly a comparison. We don't have the option to diy on this key-thing. Sheesh!

PS... the secret is not in the DAS, but the ECU...

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
So, why is it "secret"?

I'm really disappointed in the previous two holier-than-thou replies to this issue. I am also disappointed in the extortion charge to get a key made. That said, I'm glad I have two transponder keys and aftermarket functional fobs, so I'm not one of the "three", but I do sympathsize with those in the plight. I have not reported publicly before, and will not now, but I have it on authority that there is a means of disabling the DAS, and I don't think it requires $400 or shipping a car to a locksmith. Pm for details but understand this: I have not confirmed, and will not divulge source for the individual's protection.

Really, ship a dead car plus $400 or more for a key? Ridiculous doesn't even start to describe it! Oh, and as for $2000 engine repair, many diy, and it is hardly a comparison. We don't have the option to diy on this key-thing. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
You can have a locksmith make a key. That is not the issue. Car won't start without the computer chip.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
And I am really disappointed in your reply - please do not mock those with paper weight cars.:frown

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
a Secret? Really?

OK, you disagree with a $400 key and shipping the car. Exactly what do you think a New FOB at the dealership costs, (when they were available, and hopefully again??) I will bet you a new FOB is in the $400 range anyway. I'll make you another bet, name your amount. I bet you that if Mercedes starts making FOB's again, they will be deluged with orders from hundreds, if not thousands of SL owners who are willing to gladly shell out $400 for a new FOB and don't want to be in this situation ever again. I know I'm in for two more FOB's and 2 more Master keys. So the real extra cost right now is shipping, and depending upon how far away, the price is variable. The alternative is to not drive your SL, but you don't have that problem, as you point out. If you had no key and your SL just sat there, what would you do? (rhetorical question, doesn't require a response).

These forums are filled with different points of view, and there is no perfect right or wrong answer on this issue, it's your money, your car, do what fits your personality and lifestyle. If you prefer to be stubborn and refuse to pay $400 for a key to drive the car, it's your pleasure to do so. If others do pay the $400, so what. Just an FYI, for anyone unwilling to buy a $400 FOB, I think the Master key is, (was), around $75. We are driving cars that were in the $90K range when new, the parts are not cheap, labor to install parts is not cheap, and many things on these cars break when they shouldn't. But still we love driving them and keep them maintained until it becomes unreasonable for our personal budgets to sustain.

I will never buy a new $90 - $100K car, I can't afford to, but fortunately there are many out there in the work force who can. If Mercedes weren't selling a lot of SL's, these cars would not be around for us to pick up for pennies on the dollar. If you can't afford a $400 FOB, maybe you should be driving a Camry, the best bang for the buck on the road.

I was only trying to create an example of a car being disabled (for whatever reason), and I'm not going to debate what is DIY or not. But there are many things that "most" owners can't do as DIY, rather than me picking one, you pick one. I'll suggest a bad transmission (or anything else that isn't normally DIY). If your transmission needed to be rebuilt in order to drive your SL, would you fix it, keep it without fixing it or sell it? (another rhetorical question, doesn't require a response).

Everyone here is really trying to get information on fixing a problem, I applaud those you have been public with some solutions.

I'm disappointed that you just won't say openly what you think the problem is or how to fix it. Furthermore you say you have no proof, so why did you bother posting at all?

I'm not shy, if I PM you, and you tell me what your secret is, I'll come back here and post it openly.

The object is to share information that will help everyone. A Secret? Really?

The purpose of the forums is to share information on keeping our cars running in good condition, asking for help, and giving help.

·
7,141 Posts
Wow! Went from keys to fobs... this issue is so conflated. Incidentally, when I said secret, I was using colloquial verbiage. The answer is to have the ecu modified so it doesn't need input from the das. I don't share openly as the individual asked me not to, and I honor his request. there are many online references to those who can "hack" the ecu. I have been recommended one, but have not had to avail myself of their service. Oh, fobs are not needed to start a car. Only a key with a transponder is required. Aftermarket cheap systems are available to remotely unlock a car. Fobs are not the issue. So, to try and honor my contacts request but put an end to the question of my integrity, it has been reported that Beckmann Tech can hack the ecu. They don't advertise, and I am told to speak to Bob personally if service is requested. Caveat emptor, as Always. Now, let's try and take this down a notch and perhaps more resources will come to light to help those in "paper weight" status.
Peace, out.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Thank You

Wow! Went from keys to fobs... this issue is so conflated. Incidentally, when I said secret, I was using colloquial verbiage. The answer is to have the ecu modified so it doesn't need input from the das. I don't share openly as the individual asked me not to, and I honor his request. there are many online references to those who can "hack" the ecu. I have been recommended one, but have not had to avail myself of their service. Oh, fobs are not needed to start a car. Only a key with a transponder is required. Aftermarket cheap systems are available to remotely unlock a car. Fobs are not the issue. So, to try and honor my contacts request but put an end to the question of my integrity, it has been reported that Beckmann Tech can hack the ecu. They don't advertise, and I am told to speak to Bob personally if service is requested. Caveat emptor, as Always. Now, let's try and take this down a notch and perhaps more resources will come to light to help those in "paper weight" status.
Peace, out.
OK, thanks for the explanation.

If they do start making keys again, I would bet new FOB's would be the choice by the majority, (if given a choice.)

For those who only want a working master key, and don't care about the remote locks, that's a personal choice. At least they will be able to lock the car manually and drive..great

For me I'll take two more FOB's, I like the factory remote locking, and it's a feature of my SLs I want to keep in service. Everything on my cars work, and it's important to me that this level of maintenance continues. Others may not care, thats ok too.

The info on Beckman is good, one place to start. Taking the DAS out of the starting loop sounds like a good thing.

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful reply and explanation... cheers. :thumbsup:

·
7,141 Posts
If one researches Beckmann, one will find the reason for less than complete transparency.
I hope this works for folks.

Like I reported earlier in this or another thread, I have a python remote start, lock system which works great. Obviously, a key transponder is mounted somewhere in the circuitry to allow remote start, which is not an option for folk with only one key. While certainly not original, it works so there are options for remote lock/unlock and more, and prices are very reasonable. If original is not an issue, it is a very good alternative for remote locking function.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went into MB Goldens Bridge, NY today to order JUST the metal key. NLA !!! He confirmed the flip keys are still NLA (as we all noted in earlier posts) and MB Germany are still aware and looking into it. He will call me as soon as he has any further info on availability - - I am watching this space.
So who can make the metal key, any locksmith near me?
On the sad way home I popped into the sales area and asked for a brochure for the new 2018 SL and SLR models. Obviously, they treated me well, even though I was in a polo shirt, shorts and open sandals (no socks!). The motto "all or nothing" still continues to give me a different meaning :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is my car a $30K brick?

All keys lost, dealership says NLA.

Is there ANY solution to getting it running or do I total it w/ my insurance company?

97 600SL.

Thanks.

-JA

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a local locksmith that will clone the key. If there were a way to replace the ignition with a keyless or the paddle so we can get new fobs, I would be interested in that option too.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have a local locksmith that will clone the key. If there were a way to replace the ignition with a keyless or the paddle so we can get new fobs, I would be interested in that option too.
Cloning a key is NOT a viable option. Once cloned using either the old key or the cloned key will have a new random code written to it when it is used. After that first use the other key (either the old or cloned whichever you did not use) will no longer work because there has been a new random code written to the used key and stored in the DAS.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I've seen a few R129's with my own eyes.......but 3 of the owners replaced the key/ignition switch with the push button start system.
Some company out west has a system for replacing the old style key system with its push button system. They incorporated a remote start also, windows down, etc...the original anti theft system was not an issue as well.
And this was in the past 9 months. Modern technology does wonders!
I was going to do the same...but now I hear...MB has the key issue resolved and should be available in the coming months...

Well that's annoying.

261 - 280 of 283 Posts
About this Discussion
282 Replies
43 Participants
khomer2
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing