Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes Benz no longer offers replacement keys for R129. Are there any sources for key replacement and programming?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Yes, I recently ordered new key from my merc dealer for my 93 and 96 SL's. I'm in Australia, can give you the contact number but Americans wont like the price! Like $320 aussie

·
Registered
461 Posts
Things like this just push me away from Mercedes more and more. It was bad enough cars after 2000's are emissions crippled and designed like Hyundays..

Hopefully they think of something. I still have my 2 keyfobs but they are really worn. Alternative is Chinese shell from feebay or the master key (but no remote for lock/unlock and windows that way).

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
MBNA

I called MBNA this afternoon, spoke with a rep in customer service. I was told, "we are looking for a new vendor for the keys...1998~2002, not just the SL's that are affected. Other models as well. Once a vendor has been located, deals made, etc..we will let our dealerships know that keys are available."

·
Registered
39 Posts
I posted another thread that is a duplicate of this, my apologies.

But I will reiterate a question I asked there: would it be possible to remove the transponder from a working key and glue it to the ignition cylinder or near it? Then any bladed key, which are available as blanks on ebay and can be cut by a locksmith, would start the car.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
I called MBNA this afternoon, spoke with a rep in customer service. I was told, "we are looking for a new vendor for the keys...1998~2002, not just the SL's that are affected. Other models as well. Once a vendor has been located, deals made, etc..we will let our dealerships know that keys are available."
I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up a few parts and asked about extra keys for the SL. Parts guy scratched his head when it came up NLA for the SL but available for my E420, both 97's, both similar keys and fobs.

He called MB and had a similar response to yours. But it is 97-2002. I was able to order two extra keys for the E420, Maybe they just hadn't run out of stock on the E class.

The e class key blank is different, narrower than the R129 so blanks aren't interchangeable.

The MB rep expected keys to be available again in a few months.

My guess is that the chip has become obsolete and they are looking for another source for the chip.

Luckily I got 2 sets of spare keys for the SL, master and valet, when I bought the car and have two flip keys as well. And 3 flips and 1 valet, one master for the E class.

But at only $25 each I did order two more master keys for the E420.

And I'll pick up 2 masters for the SL when the become available again.

I'm also going to check my local locksmith and see if they can do keys, although past inquiry they said nope.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
I posted another thread that is a duplicate of this, my apologies.

But I will reiterate a question I asked there: would it be possible to remove the transponder from a working key and glue it to the ignition cylinder or near it? Then any bladed key, which are available as blanks on ebay and can be cut by a locksmith, would start the car.
put in a location near enough, yes it likely would work. Several members have lost the chip in a fob key, and found they could start the car with the fob key if a regular key was up next to the fob.

now the fob key has the chip in the fob that can be removed. the regular keys have the chip molded into the plastic, so you would proably need to attach the whole key near or at least the head near the lock cylinder. would be worth trying to see what the results were.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The ignition barrel(not sure you call it that) comes with a key .... maybe you could order one of those? about $99

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up a few parts and asked about extra keys for the SL. Parts guy scratched his head when it came up NLA for the SL but available for my E420, both 97's, both similar keys and fobs.

He called MB and had a similar response to yours. But it is 97-2002. I was able to order two extra keys for the E420, Maybe they just hadn't run out of stock on the E class.

The e class key blank is different, narrower than the R129 so blanks aren't interchangeable.

The MB rep expected keys to be available again in a few months.

My guess is that the chip has become obsolete and they are looking for another source for the chip.

Luckily I got 2 sets of spare keys for the SL, master and valet, when I bought the car and have two flip keys as well. And 3 flips and 1 valet, one master for the E class.

But at only $25 each I did order two more master keys for the E420.

And I'll pick up 2 masters for the SL when the become available again.

I'm also going to check my local locksmith and see if they can do keys, although past inquiry they said nope.
A-Max security solutions, 9050 SW Barbur blvd 503-245-3653, told me they could make a key for my 2001 SL500. But I would have to leave the car there all day and it would cost $300. I'm not sure what kind of key they would make, remote or master or what, the receptionist I spoke to wasn't real knowledgable.

But I might consider it as a last resort option if the keys don't become available. This is in Portland, I noticed you live here too. Which dealer did you go to, Portland or Wilsonville? I went to Portland and the guy wasn't real helpful, didn't call Mercedes or pass on any information about when or if they would be available.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
A-Max security solutions, 9050 SW Barbur blvd 503-245-3653, told me they could make a key for my 2001 SL500. But I would have to leave the car there all day and it would cost $300. I'm not sure what kind of key they would make, remote or master or what, the receptionist I spoke to wasn't real knowledgable.

But I might consider it as a last resort option if the keys don't become available. This is in Portland, I noticed you live here too. Which dealer did you go to, Portland or Wilsonville? I went to Portland and the guy wasn't real helpful, didn't call Mercedes or pass on any information about when or if they would be available.
I use Beaverton Mercedes on Canyon Road. Talk to Collin in the parts department. He has ALWAYS been extremely helpful, many a time going above and beyond to get parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Beaverton Mercedes on Canyon Road. Talk to Collin in the parts department. He has ALWAYS been extremely helpful, many a time going above and beyond to get parts.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know there was a third dealership in the area. I will check them out.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I just bought a 2000 SL 500 today. They said they could get me a key and transponder. I guess I am about to find out that is not the case!!

Wow, just wow.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I just bought a 2000 SL 500 today. They said they could get me a key and transponder. I guess I am about to find out that is not the case!!

Wow, just wow.
You bought from a Mercedes dealer? I would push them to respond, or fail, quickly. If they can't get it you might have a material breach of contract. Fraud in the inducement I think they call it - makes the contract voidable by you.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
You bought from a Mercedes dealer? I would push them to respond, or fail, quickly. If they can't get it you might have a material breach of contract. Fraud in the inducement I think they call it - makes the contract voidable by you.
Not a MB dealer, just a used dealer. I bet he didn't know either?

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
About this Discussion
282 Replies
43 Participants
khomer2
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing