Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'99 e55 (murdered, slowly); '87 560sec (burned, quickly), 95 E320 Cab (terminal), 83 300D (immortal)
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer is not particularly local - also they are still pissed about a Car and Driver article I wrote last year. Anyway, after a lost key scare over the weekend, I have again prioritized getting a replacement for my 1 key 300D. I've got title, current reg, License, etc, - and I'm not in any particular rush. The dealer wants me to come in show docs (it's the coming in part I'm trying to avoid, at least until after the key is there). and then come back in a week to pick it up. Any other options - does anyone else know how a legitimated, properly documented, mostly law-abdiding owner might wrangle a spare key out of MB without two trips. Or - am I wrong in my uneducated assumption that I can't get mine duplicated locally?

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,343 Posts
My local dealer is not particularly local - also they are still pissed about a Car and Driver article I wrote last year. Anyway, after a lost key scare over the weekend, I have again prioritized getting a replacement for my 1 key 300D. I've got title, current reg, License, etc, - and I'm not in any particular rush. The dealer wants me to come in show docs (it's the coming in part I'm trying to avoid, at least until after the key is there). and then come back in a week to pick it up. Any other options - does anyone else know how a legitimated, properly documented, mostly law-abdiding owner might wrangle a spare key out of MB without two trips. Or - am I wrong in my uneducated assumption that I can't get mine duplicated locally?
Doesn't a 1983 300D just use a cut key? Locksmith?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,038 Posts
I bought Key Blanks on eBay and had them cut in a local lock shop. However, they were Brass and some people insist that you need steel key blanks. A lock shop might have the steel blanks or can get them.
The benefit of have a lock shop do and or getting a key blank on eBay is you are going to get a solid metal key. The Mercedes supplied keys come with a plastic key head that eventually breaks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The factory key is a steel key. The regular keyshop key is brass and will leave metal shaving after each use. I just called in my vin to my local Mercedes dealer and in two weeks a key was waiting for me. I didn't show registration, but they knew me. I think they want keep a photocopy of the registration and ID now.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,038 Posts
I forgot to mention that Mercedes Key Blanks (like you might get on eBay) come in 2 different thicknesses. My 84 300D uses the thicker one. I am not sure how far back you need to go but the earlier models use the thinner one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have a working key (no chip or keyfob), lots of places have blanks that can duplicate your key. Unfortunately most are just brass. Try ebay for a steel key or your dealer for a blank one. Also I used a brass one for 5 years without problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts