Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sedan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pre-owned 2006 C230 with 6-speed manual tranny and it only came with one key. The local dealer wants $250 for a replacement key. Does any body know where I can get one made cheaper?

Thanks,

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I was juat at MB of Palm Beach, and asked about replacement "Smart Keys" they told me the new style is about $200, and cheaper than the old. I would check MB Pompano, call again, complain to the seller. It is a little complicated the car can never have more than 24 keys, a replacement will disable the origional, but they have to read your car to see which is missing. I would order a additional, and hope yours is not in the hands of a dishonest person. They can also permanently disable the "missing" one but it is another hook up to the computer, which they dont do free! I would go the "make your seller find it". You probably should go MB to get the car put into your name for warranty and recall purposes It probably needs a "A"service anyway if not have them at least change the oil and you can reset the FSS
Duval Motor Cars

·
Registered
C320
5 Posts
I would think that a 2006 is a certified pre-owned if you purchased through a MB dealer. If that is the case, then it should have come with two keys. If it did not and it is a CPO then you need to address the issue with the dealer.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
spoons said:
I just bought a pre-owned 2006 C230 with 6-speed manual tranny and it only came with one key. The local dealer wants $250 for a replacement key. Does any body know where I can get one made cheaper?

Thanks,

Hi spoons, I think magdocjr got a point if you purchased your certified car through mb then it should comes with 2 - smart keys.

just incase you got your car from a non mb dealer and going to order a replacement smart key make sure you go to the dealer and have them kill the existing key code from the first one (your car has codes for 2 individual smart key-if they are replacing the other one that lost they should kill the lost one-just an extra precaution)

or if you like the new style chromesmart key like mine (pix below) you can order it here
OEM Parts Direct :: Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo - so much cheaper (fyi, theyre mb dealer also and can reprogram your key per your VIN. once you fill up an order theyre going to ask you to fax proof of ownership...etc. I got mine for less than $130.

Goodluck,
JOE55

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
You should have gotten two keys if it was CPO.

If not and you want another key, ask for an ADDITIONAL key, not a replacement one. A replacement one will render all other keys useless and you'll have to pay for another key including replacement (or reprogramming of the system...?).

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
asianml said:
You should have gotten two keys if it was CPO.

If not and you want another key, ask for an ADDITIONAL key, not a replacement one. A replacement one will render all other keys useless and you'll have to pay for another key including replacement (or reprogramming of the system...?).
The replacement will wipe the missing one, but they need to read the body computer to see which is in the ignition and working. Ive been there, had a bad one gave it back to parts. The repacement took out the other good one!There is no programming except for reading or removing one. The key will learn and it could take up to 45 minutes before the car keeps on running.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sedan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the car from a Jaguar dealer....it's not a CPO...that would have cost a lot more money. I saved a bunch of money.

I like the chome key! $130 huh? I will check it out!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
spoons said:
I bought the car from a Jaguar dealer....it's not a CPO...that would have cost a lot more money.
That is probably an accurate statement. I bought a CPO, but financially speaking, I don't know who pays for the warranty. Ultimately though, the user is most likely paying for it by paying more for the car. I still think those are a good idea, and I have already used my warranty once, for about a $700 repair.

Good luck with the key.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sedan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I order a new replacement key from OEMpartsdirect.com. Each MB car can have up to 8 keys.

Part Numbers are:
211-766-36-06
203-766-50-06

One part number is for the metal blade and the other is fob.

Cost: $114.80 + $3.20 = $118 + S&H. Not to bad. Since shipping was onlt $10 I order the oil filter, wipers, a/c cabin filter.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
spoons said:
I order a new replacement key from OEMpartsdirect.com. Each MB car can have up to 8 keys.
Probably a bit model dependent, on the old ones with purely mechanical keys one can of course have an infinite number of keys but on modern models it should be max three active keys at a time, 8 different keys can be programmed for each key bank, as far as I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi spoons, I think magdocjr got a point if you purchased your certified car through mb then it should comes with 2 - smart keys.

just incase you got your car from a non mb dealer and going to order a replacement smart key make sure you go to the dealer and have them kill the existing key code from the first one (your car has codes for 2 individual smart key-if they are replacing the other one that lost they should kill the lost one-just an extra precaution)

or if you like the new style chromesmart key like mine (pix below) you can order it here
OEM Parts Direct :: Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo - so much cheaper (fyi, theyre mb dealer also and can reprogram your key per your VIN. once you fill up an order theyre going to ask you to fax proof of ownership...etc. I got mine for less than $130.

Goodluck,
JOE55
Thanks for the reference. I contacted them and await a reply.I have a 96 E320.The replacement key costs 300$US in South Africa. Rediculous as they are so fragile and easily break if dropped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the community and need help.

I just purchased a mercedes benz 230 2006 model. the problem is that during shipment the keys got lost. i have my title. what i wanna know is whether or not i can get new key from dealer with my title and chasis number? any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, the title with VIN is the only thing necessary to purchase the new key from MB dealer.
Than get on the shipper back to pay to delete the lost key from car memory.
We had few reports lately about cars being stolen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, the title with VIN is the only thing necessary to purchase the new key from MB dealer.
Than get on the shipper back to pay to delete the lost key from car memory.
We had few reports lately about cars being stolen.

thanks a bunch for the info will try that.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Mercedes will no longer sell keys without positive id., The keys are cut at the PDCC, and any kind of smart key is also programmed by them thru a secure database on your cars VIN. The ordering goes thru the dealership and has to be via a verified VIN # and a photo id. The key will either be ordered as a additional or replacement, the "replacement" must be verified by using the SDS softwae at the dealership, since it will remove the old key info forever.
I had a defective key they ordered the replacement, and it wiped the wrong one. I had to leave the car while they corrected the error. The replacement will search for up to 45 minutes before it syncs, it will unlock the doors, allow it to turn and start, and finally allow it to run without shutting down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mercedes will no longer sell keys without positive id., The keys are cut at the PDCC, and any kind of smart key is also programmed by them thru a secure database on your cars VIN. The ordering goes thru the dealership and has to be via a verified VIN # and a photo id. The key will either be ordered as a additional or replacement, the "replacement" must be verified by using the SDS softwae at the dealership, since it will remove the old key info forever.
I had a defective key they ordered the replacement, and it wiped the wrong one. I had to leave the car while they corrected the error. The replacement will search for up to 45 minutes before it syncs, it will unlock the doors, allow it to turn and start, and finally allow it to run without shutting down
thanks that was very helpful

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,224 Posts
The key programming applies to some models. When I bought 2001 ML the seller gave me 2 new keys that needed programming. The car is using blade key with electronic chip and even the key supplier cut the blade, the stealer charged me $150 for programming the chips.
Pre 2000 models are user-programmable.
Than last time I bought smart key for 2005 E class - it come ready to use from the box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts