Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in the title, my 1985 Mercedes 380 SL had its transmission replaced recently with a used one. No, unfortunately I do not know the mileage on the used one. However, it shifts fine, but the problem I have is manually shifting. If I start at gear 1/B as well as 2, the transmission keeps the gear at 1. It will only upshift to 2 if I move the shifter to gear 3. Then I can move back to 2 and the gear will stay at 2. If I leave it at 3 it's able to upshift 1-2-3 fine, and if I leave it on "D" it's able to shift 1-2-3-4 fine, no problems.

Essentially, the low gears aren't functioning correctly when I manually shift it.

I personally like to manually shift and I know it's a semi-automatic so it won't do damage or else why would they offer and manufacture the full range of gears? It's fun to shift manually on a semi-automatic. Anyways, I told the mechanic the issue and first he tried to argue that I'm not supposed to manually shift it. I told him that it's able to do it and people do it all the time. But then I said whether or not I'm supposed too, it's supposed to work right and it's not. I feel ripped off, because he said he fixed it but nothing has changed. I'm either thinking it's the Bowden Cable/Transmission Cable that needs adjustment (cable connected to the throttle mechanisms) and or the gear lever is not calibrated right to the transmission. Again, it shifts fine by itself or when I leave it on 3rd but I would like the full range experience of manually shifting my car! Any help, advice, and solutions are needed as I spent over $1,500 on a new transmission. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1986 560SL
99 Posts
In my 560SL - If in drive the car starts in 2nd gear not 1st. Is the 380 different?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my 560SL - If in drive the car starts in 2nd gear not 1st. Is the 380 different?
No, my car starts in 1st gear if I am on Drive. When I leave the gear shifter on Drive or on 3rd gear, it shifts sequentially and well. If I want to manually shift, then that's where I have issues with shifting the first two gears properly, without having to move my gear shifter to 3rd first, to go from gear 1 to 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts