Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 & 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 2014 GLK 350
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, does anyone know where I can buy the following fuse for my 2005 CLK 55 AMG Convertible? "keyhole" made mention on the form: Note on F32 circuit another fuse is identified: f1 (40A) on terminal X4/37. This is located in the trunk to protect the Soft Top mechanism hydraulic unit. (A7/5)

I've posted a photo of where it is located:

Thanks,

W.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rodney,

Thanks again for the information about the 40A fuse, only one auto parts local to the Charlotte, NC area carried this part.

I haven't installed it yet, however, I'll you know how it goes.

Thanks,

W.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just installed the 40A Fuse, the pump is active. I’ve included shot of the old fuse that I took out, and yes, it’s burnt out.

Now, I have a new rebuilt pump that activates with the switch, my problem now, is that the roof cycles correctly until it get to retract the soft top. I’m assuming I have another bad cylinder?

How do I go about telling which cylinder(s) is bad?

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
So the roof is not lifting off the windshield header? Does it actually unlock from the windshield?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's correct, it is not lifting off the windshield header. Yes, it actually unlock from the windshield.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
This could be a microswitch problem. Can you shoot a video of it? That will help.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Just installed the 40A Fuse, the pump is active. I’ve included shot of the old fuse that I took out, and yes, it’s burnt out.
Just thinking 'electrical' - you have to wonder what fault took out a 40A mega fuse?

That's nearly half a kilowatt of energy there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I had the hydraulic pump reconditioned at Top Hydraulics, Klaus told me that the electric motor was fried.

Maybe overvoltage from that? Klaus wants me to try and open the hatch, retract the back window, then manually put the soft top down. Not sure how to do that because I need to open the hydraulic system, which I need to get to the system thru the trunk, which will be lock at this point. Do you know the tricks to manually open the soft top? The video from the Top Hydraulic website doesn't work for me, unless, I'm missing a step.

·
18,972 Posts
If the soft top cover is open, you have access to the trunk - just gently pull the partition cover shade out of the way to get to the pump valve and the cylinder locks.

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
26 Posts
I'm interested in knowing any tricks to manually open as well. I'm in the planning phase of replacing the seven cylinders with rebuilt ones right now. My pump is fine, it's just dry due to the cylinder failure(s). At least I hope it's fine.

Have you tackled the cylinders already?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made a huge mistake and didn't take the advise of Top Hydraulic to stay away from the Stealership here in Charlotte. They took me for a grand. They told me that one of my main cylinder failed and needed to be replaced, turns out that they didn't tell the truth. I found that they didn't replace it after I replaced the hydraulic motor myself. I'm assuming I probably will be tackling the cylinders based on what I find.

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
26 Posts
I made a huge mistake and didn't take the advise of Top Hydraulic to stay away from the Stealership here in Charlotte. They took me for a grand. They told me that one of my main cylinder failed and needed to be replaced, turns out that they didn't tell the truth. I found that they didn't replace it after I replaced the hydraulic motor myself. I'm assuming I probably will be tackling the cylinders based on what I find.
10-4. While I don't have a long and established relationship with them, Autohaus on Lake Norman did right by me when my wife was up there in Charlotte visiting family after buying our car. We have this weird thing where the transmission torq converter jerks going into second gear if you're soft on the gas. It raised it's head while she was traveling, so I googled and found them. They had her car for two days trying to lock down exactly what was causing it and, after spending six hours on it, ended up determining that they couldn't fix it, it wasn't hurting the transmission and was just annoying, but didn't charge me anything at all for the diagnosis. Around here, the moment you pull into the shop, indy or not, you can't leave without dropping $150.

·
18,972 Posts
If the top is not unlocking at the wind shield header, then I would suspect that its cylinder is bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts