Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cracked the lens of my driver's side rear lamp while carelessly reversing - I know with Parktronic this shouldn't happen, but the railing I hit was possibly just above the radar sightline...

Anyhow, I picked up a replacement assembly at my M-B parts desk (in a sealed box) and it was only when installing it recently did I discover that the unit had come complete with the 5 required bulbs. These are all carried on a detachable plate that probably can be withdrawn into the trunk without disturbing the lens unit.

When the complete unit was installed and tested (and after a few cluster error messages had cleared themselves) I noticed that the brightness of the new lights was significantly higher that of the old side. Clearly, the 5 year-old bulbs were showing their age.

So what is a perfectionist to do?

Buy 5 new bulbs to brighten up the old side, or put the old bulbs into the new unit to get my matching lights back?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
still unresolved....

Nobody picked up on this post back in June, but it has finally dawned on me what is going on here. Whenever my driver's side rear light is lit. the rear fog light also comes on! That is why the driver's side is so bright - it's nothing to do with the new bulbs!

When you pull the light switch to set the rear foglights on there is no change at the rear, except the monitor light on the panel illuminates. So if there is anything amiss with this light circuit, why isn't is reported on the cluster?

Examining the rear light assembly that was removed, it is clear the MB have designed the lamp sub-assembly to be removable without taking the entire lamp assembly off the car. However, in practice this is not so easy to achieve, unless you have tiny fingers with the strength of a gorilla. I found that the best position to remove the sub-assembly is in the second image.

I'm going to replace the original lamp sub-assembly (which had nothing wrong with it) see what happens, and report back my findings.

These pics were taken in June when the light was replaced. The clips identified in the 3rd image must be pressed to remove the circuit board that carries the 5 bulbs.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts