Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too easy! The dealer wanted $250.00U.S. It took $22.00 and 1/2 hour.
I have read some of the advice on this forum and would like to add that the Bosch OEM plugs have nickle plated threads and do not require anti-sieze compounds nor is dielectric grease required on the boots of the 2001 because they came up with no effort.

Tombrand

·
Registered
2000 slk230,firemist
154 Posts
kind of amazing how valuable they think their time is , you are right ,simple pocedure easier than on most all other cars, i still use a dab of antiseize on threads just cause steel threads dont like aluminum heads, just a little insurance. having a gentle touch on boots and connections is critical.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
tombrand said:
I have read some of the advice on this forum and would like to add that the Bosch OEM plugs have nickle plated threads and do not require anti-sieze compounds nor is dielectric grease required on the boots of the 2001 because they came up with no effort.

Tombrand
Hi Tom, and welcome to the club (WTTC).
It's nice that the Bosch plugs have the plating, and most spark plugs do have some form of plating on them for just that reason, but it's still a good idea to use some Anti-Seeze on the threads to prevent galling on their installation. A VERY small amount of anti-seeze, will guarentee that the plugs will be removeable in the future. You have to be extremely carefull that you don't get any of the anti-seeze compound on the electrides as it will short the plugs in a heartbeat. Some compounds can cause harm to the catalytic converter, or so I'm told.
Don't know where the dielectric grease story came from, it may or may not work, but occasionally the boots stick to the plug insulation like they were made that way. If people decide to go that route, go VERY easy, again a LITTLE goes a VERY long way, and more is NOT better....... :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
tombrand said:

Tombrand
For $250, I'm assuming that you have a 230, right?
Or did I get "that screwed" by my dealer who has "always" done right by me.

Okay... so how bad did I get screwed?

I took her in for the tail-light recall and because she's over 5yrs old (only 30K mikes) the dealer "highly" recommended the plug-job.
I went for it... even though, installed, it was... you ready? ... ... $680.

Since I've had plugs freeze/snap before (in other cars), the last thing I wanted was to have that happen to me, in my garage, up on the lift, and then have to get her towed to the dealer for a repair that would now cost me 2-3x the price.

Especially after he told me "the engine really needs to be tilted to get to 2 of the plugs".
Now I'm not "totally" gullible... I knew I was paying more at the dealer, and I wasn't buying his "you can't do it yourself" story...
I'm just lazy and didn't want to take the chance of running into trouble.

So go ahead... I'm ready... how bad was it?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I have a 32, and haven't had to change the plugs yet, but I know it's coming.... :D
You might recall a number of years ago that GM put cars out that had to have half of the engine ancillary equipment removed to pull the plugs. These are nowhere near as bad. Some have done it already, and there are tight spots, so some thought is needed to work in those areas, but $680. to change 6 spark plugs?
Only YOU can determine if you got screwed or not...... but I think the answer is fairly obvious, sorry.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
He has 12 plugs.
But yes he ripped you, unless you have 24c gold and diamond encrusted plugs fitted :D

Lets be nice and give them 2 hrs lab, at $60 per hrs $680 - $120 $560 / 12 = $46.66 per plug

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
papa said:
He has 12 plugs.
But yes he ripped you, unless you have 24c gold and diamond encrusted plugs fitted :D
Lets be nice and give them 2 hrs lab, at $60 per hrs $680 - $120 $560 / 12 = $46.66 per plug
12 plugs, guess I had a brain fart .............. I forgot two plugs per cylinder...... :big laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts