Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first i wanted to say thanks for the directions on replacing the rear acumulators on my 97 s500, what a breeze, when i dumped them out one had black very thick fluid, the other a little dark but fairly thin fluid so i guess my drivers side was bad, but i still have that banging sound in the right rear when i hit bumos in the road, the shock looks good and has no leaks. any idea? do you have to drive them foe a while in case of any air in the system?
the car rides great and self leveling works great, just that irritating banging noise in the rear, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
I'm glad the accumulator replacement went well. My guess would be the top shock bushing although I can't seem to find the part. Maybe someone else knows where or if you can them.

·
Registered
1998 S420
8 Posts
I had a similiar noise with my rear passenger side making the thumping noise whenever the car went over the slightest bump.
The local Merc dealer identified the top shock bushing needed replacement and in order to do so, the rear shock had to be taken out thus quoting 3 hours labour charge plus the cost of the bushing. The dealer also made it clear that although the shock was not leaking and was most likely not faulty, they could not guarantee the noise would be eliminated once the bushing was replaced and asked me to consider replacing the shock since the labour cost would remain at 3 hours regardless. I decided to bite the bullet and replace the shock.
I have only driven the car for 50 miles since the repair and although the thumping noise has now gone and the car rides much better than it did, I understand that it will take 200 miles of driving to settle the car for an improved ride.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ride has settled quite well so far but im still getting that banging sound at the slightest little bump,cna i get the bushings from mb.is this a common issue with a car of its age?

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
I haven't had to replace the bushings on my 140 yet but have done so several times on my 126s. The bushings were accessible through removable plastic panels behind the rear seat back. Possibly similar on the 140. Jack the rear end up and undo the ride height control linkage and move the lever to the "lower" position. this will take the hydraulic pressure out of the system and allow you to manipulate the top of the shock up and down as you insert new bushings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts