Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headlight works but still have low bulb out and 1 warning message. can i reset myself or does stealer have to do it? thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
would help to know what you replaced it with.

based on your error message, sounds like you replaced it with a HID kit . which one ?
if you used an MTEC kit, you would not get any error. however, if you used a cheaper /ebay one, you will need capacitors placed in-line with the circuit to prevent the error. OR, last option is to get the dealer to set "xenons=present" through their mercedes-star-system.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, halogen to halogen.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hey jbanks15 - I realize your lights are not working properly yet, but was just curious as to how you changed the bulb. Did you go in from the engine compartment, unclip the latch that holds the bulb in place, and insert the new halogen bulb (a process used with many late-model cars) or did you approach it from the front of the car by taking off the plastic light guard? How much time was involved and how much was the bulb?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
newmb,

i originally (1 year ago) went in from the engine compartment. a lot of scrapes that way. this time, i just replaced the halogen with the oem i removed last time ( i had sylvania blue halogens 6k i think). i got my skinny arms in and removed the low beam covers but was not able to get any pressure to unscrew the bulb holder. went to 'search this forum' because i remembered someone went into the wheel well. in fact, when i installed the clear markers i had to also do that. removed 2 wheel well screws and the 2 screws on the bottom and flexed it back. was able to get better leverage and in it went. light came on and dansslk said it would reset itself and eventually it did to no malfuncion.

the bulb was the oem but when i replaced them the sylvania was like $40 a piece.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hey jbanks15 - Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'm going to head to the stealer to have the work done when the time comes for me to replace the bulb. I haven't had any problems replacing the bulbs on any of my previous cars (Toyota, Honda, BMW, VW), but the SLK sounds like it would be a major challenge for me. The HIDs on my Lexus also look like they could present some problems, so I'll probably pass on those as well. Nothing like the old days when you could simply slap a new high beam or low beam into place, seal it with the rubber boot, and be on your way in less than five minutes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now our ages are showing!

·
Registered
150 Posts
"SLK sounds like it would be a major challenge for me."

Its not... SLK is the 2nd car i've worked on besides my previous nissan 350z, and its fairly easy... a lot of more protective-covering pieces than a nissan, but simple ...

here are a couple of my DIY threads, one on changing oil and another on doing the HID install going through the wheel-well

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171-slk-class/1351715-diy-oil-change-slk350-pictures.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171-slk-class/1338998-mtec-6000k-hids-installed-2006-slk-no-warnings-lots-pics.html

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Great pictures and accompanying explanations, but it still seems like a friggin' lot of work. Like jbanks15 said, I guess I'm showing my age. LOL. I guess when it comes time to change out the bulb, I'll have to make a decision on whether my time or money is more valuable. I used to like to tinker with cars (when they weren't so complex), but if I make a mistake nowadays, it sometimes costs more to undo the "fix" than to pay to have it done right the first time. My wife always tells me to just pay to have things fixed because she doesn't like listening to all of my @$%&!!! while I attempt to fix things on my own. I always tell her "yeah, but look at all of the satisfaction I get and all the money we can save." Of course, that's providing I do things correctly, which isn't always the case. LOL.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I always tell her "yeah, but look at all of the satisfaction I get and all the money we can save."
never did it for the money, considering how much time it takes, its not worth my hourly rate ...

but the satisfaction of not having some 17 year old school dropout who took an auto class in high school work on ur car is nice...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts