Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
665 Posts
This is got to be a record.. 10 days and nearly 100 post to replace an ign. switch.. :LOL:

·
Registered
2005 ml 350 VIN 4JGAB57E25A548558
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is got to be a record.. 10 days and nearly 100 post to replace an ign. switch.. :LOL:
dont cut the job in half bobby, the lock cylinder also! i tried telling you i have no mechanical skills whatsoever. And I was again trying to get the disk and switch on for more than 2 hours. Nothing. I had thin copper wire stretched across to one of the pins on the switch, so I could get underneath and push on the other one and put switch in. ;Nope. The only 2 times it went on, was by force. Once with the connector already attached. I got another friend coming over before noon tomorrow. He family owns a junk yard in a neighboring town. Im hoping he can help
And Witek, yes it was ordered with my VIN. Why they wanted it I dont know. Its only a skelton key. Just the metal. I gotta use small vise grips on it when in ignition.The guy coming over is the one who got it on separately the other day when we got that error.
So when I put the battery in it read 12.7v. Got the new tumbler in, then attached the IMMO and switch to connector and used flat head to turn. Nice and tight. Also got same start error a few times before I went to the old tumbler. But that thing is so messed up ithe black button does not release and it wont turn inside housing. I will post pics of how I left the scene in a few.
thanks again.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
This has snowballed a bit.

Removing the metal disk and gear was a critical error. You will need to orientate the gear correctly in order for the tumbler positions to match the switch positions. (Wafers must be aligned with grooves in cylinder, otherwise key will be stuck in lock with switch in position 0.)

One question. Does the new cylinder and blade exactly match all your older keys?

(It sounds like they don’t match, and that would be due to an error in the ordering process. VIN incorrectly written down, copied across, or typed into computer.)

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
665 Posts
Yes, Solo.. I shouldn't get down on you for being deprived of a practical education from our public schools... When I was a teenager, we had a class in school called "shop".. Where you leaned something you might actually use as you got older.. Like how to fix your car..

I will give you this,. for not giving up.. And thank your lucky stars there are such generous members as Witek, Wallyo, Dr.X,.etc,.. who are willing to stick it out with you..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No new key does not match others. The 2 mickey mouses I got from the dealership. The one with the tumbler I ordered online, as the dealership is over 40 miles away and they made me come in twice for the 2 mickeys because of the anti-theft thing. I had to enter my VIN but I know now that it may have not been legit Mercedes store. MBpartsonline, something like that, but the truck didnt drive without it and I didnt think the dealership would sell me one without bringing truck in. i did (in my mind) make progress yesterday evening with the tumblers. In the feel of each position with them. Here is how I was trying to use the new tumbler. As the old one is so chewed up inside, it doesnt hardly turn with nothing attached.
I attached the switch to connector ad used flat head to simulate the 4 key positions with transponder coil attached.
I cannot use the old tumbler, as it doesnt function properly with everything attached. Thats what the pics are of. With old tumbler and old mickey. The pic of disk is how I believe it should go in. As if you were facing from drivers seat looking down. I only have to figure out how to hold in once it is in position, as it is too hard to sync with cylinder if I attach to ignition switch and try and put both in at 1 time.
thanks
currentstate2-12.jpg
switchanddisk.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dont stay down for more than a 8 count Bobby! Oh I am more grateful than you can imagine. I tease my friends and neighbors around here when they try to give me their 2 cents on what I should do, that Im going in and ask my other friends who actually know about these vehicles! I do appreciate you guys. Aside from the occasional frustration, I am enjoying the journey. And yeah, at 50 I just learned last summer how to disconnect and connect the battery properly! No shop class!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I only tried it 2 times, both start errors. I was trying to familiarize myself with how this stuff should go together properly. I feel confident I actually understand how it all goes together finally.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
The one with the tumbler I ordered online, as the dealership is over 40 miles away and they made me come in twice for the 2 mickeys because of the anti-theft thing. I had to enter my VIN but I know now that it may have not been legit Mercedes store. MBpartsonline ...
Sounds like a legit MB parts outlet, but the tumbler doesn’t match the old one. So it’s a screw-up.

Never mind. Using any old or new wafers and tiny springs you have, insert them into the new cylinder so that they disappear inside when you insert the old key fully. Use trial and error. Time required: less than 2 hours.

When you are happy with your work (or frustration has set in), insert the new cylinder into the ignition lock barrel.

How did you go with the switch uninstalled, connector plugged in, relay K8 in, and switch turned to start position using flathead screwdriver?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
I only tried it 2 times, both start errors.
You mean short crank?

How about a video of this start error, please?

Try with intact old Mickey Mouse key next. Has that one ever given start error?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When I got the errors yesterday I did not have everything ( transponder coil, ring, key with chip ) as before yesterday evening, when something was in properly I am hesitant to touch it again for fear I may not be able to get it back to proper position. Im confident now I can get all in proper position.
i didnt have switch and connector inside housing, but everything else including K8 relay was where it should be or in vicinity. Although will be exactly now that I took that chip off the coil and back into the key.
Only time it did is the day of the tow. I can make a video later today. Im stuck working inside til aroud noon, 5 more hours.
But it didnt do anythig, just lights that were supposed to come on in each position did, then no crank, no noise in start position lights flash, go out except flash start, then error on odometer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just wanted to give everyone who is helping me an update: I was only able to give the truck an hour of my time yesterday (had to keep the electricity on!). The hour i spent trying to remove the old tumbler out. It is stuck inside the housing. I will go out around noon today and try to remove that thing first.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I just spent last hour trying to remove the old lock cylinder and it is still stuck. I am going to try and fabricate some kinda tool to remove it before I get frustrated and end up roughhousing it out and damage something else inside housing. I am also going to contact that place I ordered it from and verify that I gave them the correct VIN.
Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
You have to insert the key that you used to install the tumbler. Turn to position 1. Then remove using special tool, that rotates the steel retaining cap 1/4 turn anticlockwise.

If the key isn’t in, the wafers will be protruding, and that prevents the tumbler from turning or being pulled out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok, so all day today, and a bit of yesterday. and I yes, came to that conclusion. This is the original tumbler that I tore the wafers out of and then found 5 and put them back in. I believe it is in the correct position, but it does not matter, as you said the key does not turn. I remember when it was first taken out, I held the sides while my frined stuck a tin rod in and we must have just got lucky cuz it only took 5 mins, and we didnt know what we were doing. I didnt want to sit inside and look stuf up, when I believed I could remove it. I anticipate having to order an entire housing. As I didnt realize how bad it looked til the picture came up on PC. I just got that piece of soft metal on an decided to come in. Was over 60 degrees so it was impossible to get frustrated. U dont think the tool will help, as I have no idea how I reassembled them wafers.
Im gong to have to digest this. I cant believe It took all day and wont come out. Here is how I left it:
20200214_160709.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
... insert them into the new cylinder ...(emphasis added)
Putting back your worn/damaged old cylinder was asking for trouble. It’s trouble.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes, Im anticipating at least having to order another of those. Now when I did the jump thing I believe it was on January 26th, as soon as I pulled out of my driveway and turning onto the main road, I remember the keys flying onto the passenger floor. Thats when I grabbed a rubber band off the gear knob and fastened to turn signal stalk. I drove about 30 freeway miles to Doctor's office. Parked and shut off car for 40 minutes and then jumped again and drive home. To be clear, that is a diagnostic test only?
I also emailed the MBpartshubonline.com and they confirmed that they would return it if it was wrong. It never occured to me that it was not correct because I never compared until you mentioned it. I assumed that I would use Mickey key for door and since new lock cylinder turned in the housing with new key it was correct. So should I ask why it doesnt match?
Thank You for helping me. I also found 2 more wafers this evening in my living room! Thankfully thats 2 less I have to fight this weekend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I believe the white flag is about to rise! Im not getting that thing out. I gotta see how the cylinder housing comes off and the difficulty level. Since I dont believe I can get it off. WIth or without any tool made for it. Cuz I took all the old beat up bent up wafers and stuck them back into the old tumbler. When I was told to put them into the new one. I couldnt possibly see where they would go in the new one since it was full, I assumed he meant back in the old one.
I gotta find some info here on replacing the housing, as I believe if I continue one, not that I will get it out, but if I do, that housing will probably be all gouged up.
I found a PDF on the ignition lock cylinder which addressed getting out stuck keys. Although I tried a few methods, Im gonna look this stuff up, eat and then see if I can continue fighting this one!
Thanks guys

21 - 40 of 87 Posts