Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ml 350 VIN 4JGAB57E25A548558
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I think I understand what you did.

You moved the gear in the wrong direction. You need to push it upward before re-installing the metal disk. Not all the way upward - 1 or 2 teeth should be enough.
Glad you did, cuz I sure didnt! I seen this earlier, apparently Im always logged in on one of my phones. Wanted to rush home and try it. Problem is I dont actually know if I have to remove the lock cylinder anymore. Cuz I dont have the tool to do it and I may destroy more stuff taking it out. I wouldnt be in such good shape if I was smarter! I could have been reading on here instead of running up stairs so much to see if you replied. Nevermind, that would mean I would have to know where that phone is!

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,376 Posts
Problem is I dont actually know if I have to remove the lock cylinder anymore.
I think you have to.

Because the lock cylinder prevents you from moving the gear upwards in the housing (anticlockwise in the lock barrel).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I think you have to.

Because the lock cylinder prevents you from moving the gear upwards in the housing (anticlockwise in the lock barrel).
Yea, I went and verified. So looks like it may or may not be a long process. May not if I get lucky and get it off quick. Im not buyng that tool thats supposed to aid in removing. Once I can safely and legally drive and get more keys. Nevermind, you know what they say, never say never!

Thanks DrX

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I think you have to.

So I have not worked on the car til today. Got caught up on work. But I blundered right off the bat. So I believe key position should be 1 and a little bit when removing the lock cylinder?

Put key in that position, but I then realized the battery was connected . So I removed the negative cable out of order.

Can I continue with this error, or should I do something else in hopes of rectifying this?

I have the lock cylinder already removed. And turned rectangle 15 degrees clockwise. Then moved gear teeth 2 teeth counterclockwise. Then turned rectangle back 15 degrees back.

Thanks all

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,376 Posts
Can I continue with this error, or should I do something else in hopes of rectifying this?
Yes, carry on.
And turned rectangle 15 degrees clockwise
Remove the disk/gear, turn rectangular slot anticlockwise 15 degrees, then reinstall disk with rectangle held in the new position.

After you have installed the disk, turn the rectangular slot back to the original position to receive the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Yes, carry on.

Remove the disk/gear, turn rectangular slot anticlockwise 15 degrees, then reinstall disk with rectangle held in the new position.
View attachment 2624415
After you have installed the disk, turn the rectangular slot back to the original position to receive the lock cylinder.
Ok, I truly appreciate your help. I will continue tomorrow.

Thank you

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Ok, I think I am close! So I removed lock cylinder, then rotated rectangle at end of cylinder 10 degrees clockwise. Then went under dash and moved 2 gear teeth counterclockwise. Returned to end of lock barrel with screwdriver and returned to original position. Installed lock cylinder, disk, ignition switch and connector. Connected negative battery cable to battery. When I inserted key i have been using, I did notce that it seems to ge alot tighter. Turned key to 1, then 2, finally 3. No crank. No error, but I did notice inserting the key that it did not go in as easily as before.

But the disk DID turn further on towards crank. Much more noticeable. Was mad time ran out. I will have to wait til tomorrow
to repeeat and turn 2 more teeth.

It is like it goes almost 2 more positions towards crank. Although It didnt creak, i would assume It is almost done!

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,376 Posts
I’ve told you 3-4 times which way to turn the gear inside the housing, and drawn 2 diagrams, but you insist on turning it in the opposite direction, with predictable results. There’s nothing more I can do except bang my head against a brick wall.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
I’ve told you 3-4 times which way to turn the gear inside the housing, and drawn 2 diagrams, but you insist on turning it in the opposite direction, with predictable results. There’s nothing more I can do except bang my head against a brick wall.
Thanks DrX and Witek for all your help. I really appreciated it. I am confident the answers are in the prior posts.

And I also wanna thank the losers who felt compelled to follow this thread and only offer stupid unnecessary remarks. I think if you google dating sites and grab a credit card, ya might find something more constructive to do. Or if ya wanna find out about Jesus, let me know.

Thanks DrX and Witek.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,370 Posts
Stumbled onto this old post that was recently revived.
For what's it worth....

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,802 Posts
Why don’t you just put a keyless go system in it for $100 bucks and save everyone the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Well I got it! Driving, just like new again. Thanks DrX and Witek. And I know what im doing if this ever happens again.

Oh, and thanks to all the losers who are being forced to follow this!

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,802 Posts
Well I got it! Driving, just like new again. Thanks DrX and Witek. And I know what im doing if this ever happens again.

Oh, and thanks to all the losers who are being forced to follow this!
Your such a dick.
Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
solopop77.......The LEAST you could do is post a video with your W163 running.....SO MANY MEMBERS spent so much time helping you diagnose your issues and walk you through the procedures that you refused to follow....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Ok everyone, I apologize. I have been spending the better part of last 2 days trying to get usable video and still shots that support what I think happened. Please bear with me as all who follow know I am not very versed in this language.

Here is a link to two videos I made on the 10th of March, when DrX posted some information on checking the shifter module:
is the first one. And this is the second one after all who replied said I wasnt turning the ignition switch far enough

And if you watch the video and listen to my I point out, although somewhat unsure as usual, that the plastic clip going to the shirter module was not all the way connected. I only know what it is as DrX said to inspect the other end. Only then did I discover that my friend who took the disk out also took the shifter cable out at the steering housing end.

Another thing I noticed is that it was not all the way plugged in when I first attempted to put it back. I can see it a bit out in some pics.

Again Im sorry it took so long to get back here. I attempted to find indisputable evidence that supports what I believe.

Anyway, I am going to make more of an effort to stay online more. As I am very grateful for this site and all who assisted and encouraged me. Especially DrX. Thanks

Just wanted to add that the original tumbler that is all mangled and without a single wafer is in now.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,376 Posts
When we last left the story, you were fiddling with various combinations of removing the lock cylinder and the disk/gear that goes in before the ignition switch.

What we would like is the explanation of what you did differently in order to solve it.

I don’t know how the old lock cylinder with no wafers ended up back in there, but that state is highly inadvisable. The wafers hold the key inside the hole to maintain the integrity of the immobilizer system.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts