Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,383 Posts
I’ve already explained this. (The attempted fix was at post #154)

The ignition switch works outside the housing. But when you put it back inside, it doesn’t work. Hence the reassembly is incorrect.

The disk isn’t turning far enough clockwise to the start position, because the gear is being installed at the wrong angle.

The triangular wedge goes in one way. So the gear underneath must be rotated one more tooth anticlockwise.

If you can’t do it with the tumbler installed, remove it and stick a flathead in the lock barrel, to turn the gear towards position -1.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
725 Posts
I’ve already explained this. (The attempted fix was at post #154)

The ignition switch works outside the housing. But when you put it back inside, it doesn’t work. Hence the reassembly is incorrect.

The disk isn’t turning far enough clockwise to the start position, because the gear is being installed at the wrong angle.

The triangular wedge goes in one way. So the gear underneath must be rotated one more tooth anticlockwise.

If you can’t do it with the tumbler installed, remove it and stick a flathead in the lock barrel, to turn the gear towards position -1.
DR X... I'm feeling for you...

·
Registered
2005 ml 350 VIN 4JGAB57E25A548558
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Ok, I have figured out why I am not understanding. Everytime the word gear is mentioned or used, I only think of the disk. The disk that I thought I knew so well from it torturing me the last six weeks! And knowing it only goes in one way like you said cuz of the wedge, I couldnt understand how I could reinstall it differently. The teeth in the housing or gear in the housing rather. But I thought I tried to move, no I tried to turn the saturn shaped object. Ok, I think I got it! 1 gear tooth turned inside housing prior to installing the disk. So the disk starts with the ability to turn further than it has. I think.

I want to take it all apart just so I can figure it out. The entire steering housing assembly. But I would probably never get that back in!

Whats the worst that could happen if I drive to the dealership with the configuration that started it last nite? The disk, switch, and connector all outside of housing and key in ignition. They wont sell me any keys without the vehicle present. I should have ordered a case of them igniton switches, since the one I have only has one more move left. I already bent the big prong a bit. But they are only 20 some bucks.

Thanks DrX.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
1 gear tooth turned inside housing prior to installing the disk. So the disk starts with the ability to turn further than it has. I think.
Correct!

To turn the gear inside the housing, you have to remove the lock cylinder again. Then use a flathead screwdriver in the rectangular hole, turned anticlockwise maybe 15 degrees.
C1865773-2D76-448D-9CA7-3D1127286DBB.jpeg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Correct!

To turn the gear inside the housing, you have to remove the lock cylinder again. Then use a flathead screwdriver in the rectangular hole, turned anticlockwise maybe 10 degrees. View attachment 2623573
I thought not having a car was an emergency situation. Not having any internet service is. Im cutoff from life when that happens! Cant work, cant do anything. They tell us maybe this way til tomorrow. The we are getting a bunch of snow Saturday. Their next excuse Im sure! I dont have access to all my pics I had other than the ones on here. Left that machine over at a friends and hes gone for 10 days! Ugh.

Thanks DrX. Im gonna take pics of these posts so I can review later. I gotta do some work so I dont starve to death!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Man I so wanted to get started on the truck but I had to do work. I did wash it. Had a friend, same friend who took out my beloved disk, drive by and yell that I would never get it started. Technically I didnt, DrX did!!
Its real late here I gotta get a few hours. I wont be starting til Tuesday. It is gonna snow and I will get pneumonia and probably die if I start tomorrow, cuz I wont be able to just stop!

I dont need them pics or to make any videos unless Im told. Who the hell would listen to anything I put up, I dont know crap about any car!

Ok thanks

·
Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
706 Posts
Man I so wanted to get started on the truck but I had to do work. I did wash it. Had a friend, same friend who took out my beloved disk, drive by and yell that I would never get it started. Technically I didnt, DrX did!!
Its real late here I gotta get a few hours. I wont be starting til Tuesday. It is gonna snow and I will get pneumonia and probably die if I start tomorrow, cuz I wont be able to just stop!

I dont need them pics or to make any videos unless Im told. Who the hell would listen to anything I put up, I dont know crap about any car!

Ok thanks
Hang in there.....you're an inch close to success.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Hang in there.....you're an inch close to success.
I am going to pretend Im confident and believe that!
Thanks, appreciate the vote of confidence. Im just glad I
have not took the time to look how to message privately,
Id bug the guy helping me to death!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I am going to pretend Im confident and believe that!
Ok, yeah of course I couldnt wait til the storm came and went. Its blowing 30-40mph, but Im in the truck. Nothing can ruin the rest of the day for me, and the truck is not even running!

So I went deliberately slow. Printed all the stuff DrX said to do. Even the pics. Took 2 hours remove lock cylinder, turn 10 degrees counterclockwise, and then reinstall. I then installed the disk, ignition switch, and connector. Then put the negative cable back on the battery. All this in 2 hours and I took pictures along the way and came inside and put the pics in order on this machine. Another words took my sweet time. And it was easy. Not alot of cussing or yelling. 2 hours. Now I know why them guys were laughing and whining that its taking 2 months!

I even enjoyed it when I was frustrated and cussing. Maybe not til the next day though. Anyway I havent decided if Im going to go back out and disassemble and correct. Oh, yeah. It is 10 degrees clockwise. Opposite of counter clockwise. Well I dont really know how many degrees, but I know how much I turned it counterclockwise. And for sure its the other direction.

This is the absolute first time in the 2 months that I really am confident I can do this particular repair. And I owe it all to you guys who helped me. Especially DrX and Witek. Im sorry Witek, I didnt realize til last nite when I read every single post that you and DrX were two different guys. All this time I thought I was talking to same person! And I appreciate the rest of you guys who encouraged me. That is equally important sometimes.

I think Im just gonna work and enjoy the rest of the day.

Thanks everyone.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
Took 2 hours remove lock cylinder, turn 10 degrees counterclockwise, and then reinstall. I then installed the disk, ignition switch, and connector.
Does it work now? Because if you did it in the above order, I don’t think it will.

You were instructed to remove the lock cylinder, then remove the disk, turn the gear under the lock cylinder one tooth anticlockwise, then reinstall the disk (that inserts in one orientation).

The effect of this is that the disk is rotated one tooth clockwise, when looking from the spindle end towards the switch and wiring harness.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I typed 4 paragraphs but it had me more confused reading it. I will just put current state here. I have everything off and in the house. Lock cylinder, disk, ignition switch. Twice I inserted screwdriver in rectangle box in post #230 and turned. Once counter clockwise 2mm or so. Then 4mms or so clockwise.

Its rare that I am at a loss for words. I must be in some kind of shock. I thought I knew what I was doing. I guess I should be happy I can install some of these things without breaking them. I gotta sleep on this.

Well It may put me in shell shock, but I still had a great day thinking and believing I knew what was going on!

Thanks DrX and all

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
Some progress made, but need to complete task set in post #24, from a month ago.
Removing the metal disk and gear was a critical error. You will need to orientate the gear correctly in order for the tumbler positions to match the switch positions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Some progress made, but need to complete task set in post #24, from a month ago.
I am efficient and not reckless with the disk, switch, and connector now! I had a tough time last nite computing the fact that all went well and in quick time, but I wasnt doing what I should have been.

I dont know if I should order the lock cylinder and key from same place again then. My VIN is taped to this big monitor I use daily. I may have given it wrong, but I doubt it. Tumbler was EXACTLY same as old one. Hard for me to tell about key. Original key rarely worked, and 1 Mickey from dealership was broken in half, other finally went out when I towed car to house. So I dont know. I have to order one anyway, I think before I go to dealership with car. This is from when I was doing what I thought, rather than just saying it: when I was told its okay if I cant put all the wafers back, that was green light to take them all out. I lost all the springs more than a month ago. This makes it more puzzling to me why I couldnt put tumbler and cap on last nite. No wafers at all to get in the way.

Oh, glad you ignored my breakthrough solution I discovered. One tumbler was longer than the other. Cuz I measured them and they were identical!

So can I even continue, since I stuck the driver in the rectangle and turned 2mm and 4mm yesterday thinking I was orientating the disk? I thought that was 10 degrees, 2mm. And the second time I had to get back where I started, then I went 2mm more to be at 10 degrees in other direction.

I will forget about putting it together and focus on the orientation I imagine. Never even got any snow storm. Im going back out there as soon as it gets light. Either way, I still enjoyed myself yesterday working on it. If I didnt, I would have been done with this a long time ago!

Thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Does it work now? Because if you did it in the above order, I don’t think it will.

You were instructed to remove the lock cylinder, then remove the disk, turn the gear under the lock cylinder one tooth anticlockwise, then reinstall the disk (that inserts in one orientation).
View attachment 2623861

The effect of this is that the disk is rotated one tooth clockwise, when looking from the spindle end towards the switch and wiring harness.
Ok, I just went out there in the dark and woke the neighborhood up! You helped me enough DrX. I gotta figure it out. It cant possibly be as complicated as I am seeing it! Hell there are only the housing, gear underneath, disk and tumbler.

You and Witek made me aware I wasnt turning switch far enough. I was afraid I would break it. Then you pointed out how the key isnt able to turn far enough clockwise (as facing). I put driver in that rectangular square and when I tried to start with key I seen was worse. So I turned rectangle again and thats where it stands.

There are only 4 mechanical parts I need to worry about. Hardest part is and should be contorting my body for 2 hours at a time.

I will report back when I get it right. Or roast marshmellows over it after I set it ablaze!😡🧐

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
I suppose the screwdriver in the slot at the end of the lock barrel, when fully turned clockwise, should crank the engine (and give start error) with the disk and ignition switch correctly installed. Maybe that can be a halfway target.

To get to that stage, remove the connector and ignition switch. Check the orientation of the disk and rectangular slot. Remove the disk/gear assembly. Using a flathead screwdriver, turn the rectangular slot anticlockwise a small amount (15 degrees), and while holding it in that position, install the disk/gear assembly.

Check the orientation again, which should be different from the previous time you checked it. Looking down at the disk, when you turn the rectangular slot back to its original position, the disk should now be rotated anticlockwise.

If it isn’t rotated anticlockwise, remove the disk and repeat the procedure until it is. Do something different each time you repeat it, because what you did the previous time wasn’t correct.

When you are happy that the disk angle has changed, reinstall the ignition switch and connector, then test it with the screwdriver down the lock barrel. If that gives crank-fire-immediate_stall with “start error”, then you can reinstall the lock cylinder and cap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
I suppose the screwdriver in the slot at the end of the lock barrel, when fully turned clockwise, should crank the engine (and give start error) with the disk and ignition switch correctly installed. Maybe that can be a halfway target.

To get to that stage, remove the connector and ignition switch. Check the orientation of the disk and rectangular slot. Remove the disk/gear assembly. Using a flathead screwdriver, turn the rectangular slot anticlockwise a small amount, and while holding it in that position, install the disk/gear assembly.

Check the orientation again, which should be different from the previous time you checked it. Looking down at the disk, when you turn the rectangular slot back to its original position, the disk should now be rotated anticlockwise.

If it isn’t rotated anticlockwise, remove the disk and repeat the procedure until it is. Do something different each time you repeat it, because what you did the previous time wasn’t correct.

When you are happy that the disk angle has changed, reinstall the ignition switch and connector, then test it with the screwdriver down the lock barrel. If that gives crank-fire-immediate_stall with “start error”, then you can reinstall the lock cylinder and cap.
No, I havent seen a start error in so long I forgot about em! You guys showed me it still does run, so thats what Im shooting for. Installed where it goes, not hanging out the dash. I had an incomplete screenshot where, and I dont know who wrote it, it said to stick driver into. I gotta let that go or Ill be confused. I thought I was doing what you wrote. I was even telling my friends how hard a time I was having doing it. I had read move rectangular box 10 degrees counterclockwise. I had no idea it even did move. So I did that guessing what or how I could calculate that in relationship to where or how I was standing. Counter clockwise sitting in drivers seat. It seemed when I inserted afterward that it wasnt right. So from drivers seat, I turned rerctangular box counterc clockwise from where I just turned from, plus 10 degrees, or just call it a little bit, more clockwise.

So after I read that I was supposed turn gear inside of housing (and I do remember you mentioning that), I, instead of turning just one gear at a time, cuz I have no idea how hard or long each gear might be, I stuck flathead up from floorboards into housing and turned as far as it would let me. or rather pushed gear inside housing that is underneath disk and did all at once counterclockwise while n my back facing underneath dash.

That produced same result. But I now get that snap back sound when key inside lock cylinder is suyposed to when turning back from start position. I hadnt had that since removing lock cylinder 2nd time.

But it didnt help when ignition swith and everything else was connected. Still couldnt go far enough. So I disconnected evertything again. After connecting outside of housing so I could start it and let battery charge all the way up and to remind myself it is close to returning to road.

I was debating driving as it is to the dealership tomorrow. Not gonna. Although I will probably can the operating insurance tomorrow. Its been sitting over 2 months now since it was towed here. I got killed the little time I was out there today. WInd kept blowing door shut on my leg or ass or something.

Im going out now to take more pics to compare. Ones I took today are terrible and I cant see much on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Would installing one of those push button things eliminate the need for all this?
Or is that more difficult?
I broke one of he tabs on this ignition switch today. Everytime I install or remove something I risk breaking it.

Im afraid the inside of the housing is going to be gouged beyond usability next.

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
... I stuck flathead up from floorboards into housing and turned as far as it would let me.
I don’t know where you get these ideas from.

Stop doing that.

When you do this:

this happens:
F0CA0E34-A526-42D0-94B8-B8B791BCA2B6.jpeg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
I don’t know where you get these ideas from.

Stop doing that.

When you do this:
View attachment 2624053
this happens:
View attachment 2624054
I didnt properly convey what I did. I went from under dash like the pic above this post. Took screw driver and put tip on top of last gear tooth. Where your arrow ends, and pushed all the way downward as far as it would go. Counterclockwise. Thinking from view in drivers seat, it is moving clockwise as far as it would go. Closer to position 3. It did not change what happens after I re-install everything and turn key towards position 3. Still no crank.

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,383 Posts
Took screw driver and put tip on top of last gear tooth. Where your arrow ends, and pushed all the way downward as far as it would go.
I think I understand what you did.

You moved the gear in the wrong direction. You need to push it upward before re-installing the metal disk. Not all the way upward - 1 or 2 teeth should be enough.

221 - 240 of 263 Posts