Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced both cv axles, as per the write up on here, no issues at all, big tug at both and the old ones came off with no problem. put everything back together, torqued everything to specs, drove the car up the driveway and the car stopped and will not move in drive or reverse. any ideas? 2002 e320 4matic..thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Having happened right after replacing the axles, that's where I would start looking first, not the Trans. I had a newly replaced axle go south on a civic once, it happens. OEM or after market?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
which axles did you replace on the 4 matic - front or back?

did you install complete new axles or just half axles from the interior joint to the wheel? if you pulled the inner joint out of the dif when you replaced it did you make sure to knock it back in so that the circlip on the end of the axle re engaged with the drive splines groove for the circlip inside the dif? if not then the inner end of the shaft will walk out of the splines on the differential and you will loose all drive and grind up the end of the shaft and the dif drive.

cheers
Barri

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which axles did you replace on the 4 matic - front or back?

did you install complete new axles or just half axles from the interior joint to the wheel? if you pulled the inner joint out of the dif when you replaced it did you make sure to knock it back in so that the circlip on the end of the axle re engaged with the drive splines groove for the circlip inside the dif? if not then the inner end of the shaft will walk out of the splines on the differential and you will loose all drive and grind up the end of the shaft and the dif drive.

cheers
Barri
Theses were the front axles, complete. I did not notice the inner joint pulled out, though that could be the problem. I did tug a lot harder on the drivers front than the passenger, so I think it might be possible. How do I check that and put it back it if needed? The axles went back on and engaged correctly.
No fluid leaks, no dash lights, nothing.
Thanks again . Mike

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
the stb end that goes into the dif is very short and has the circlip on it that needs to be compressed to get it into the dif. I found with mine that I had to use a bit of wood padded on the rubber boot and give it a good whack with a rubber mallet to seat the circlip - otherwise the end of the axle walked out of the dif as soon as there was pressure on it.
I have attached the picture of the axle from WIS and marked the circlip - although I'm sure if you are doing the job you know what it looks like :D - it has to seat behind the bearing in the differential. On the 107's you had to pull the dif cover to physically pull the circlip but this one is supposed to just knock to compress and then tap into the dif until it seats. just use padding on the boot if you cant clamp the back of the joint to hit against.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took things apart tonight, noticed that even though the car is in park, the left front axle turns freely, it is fully seated on the splines and output shaft, this whole section turns. I will remove the axle in the morning and see if I can re-seat the output shaft, if that can when be done and see if anything changes. Totally stumped, I have swapped out CV axles many times without issues like this.

·
Registered
98 320
440 Posts
would be interested to know what you find. I did mine a few months ago and had issues getting my passenger side axle to seat properly.

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the left front axle off today, no problems, looked carefully as to the orientation of it in case it had not seated correctly on the output shaft, everything was ok. the car was in park, the axle turned by hand. I removed it completely, wrapped a shop rag around a pair of vice grips and was able to turn the output shaft with the vice grips. In my thinking, if the car is in park, I should not be able to do this. Any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got too frustrated with it, had the car towed to the shop, after 5 days they called back saying the circlip on the output shaft, that helps hold the CV axle on, was damaged and was not holding the axle, so it would not stay on where it was supposed to.
Overall a very frustrating ordeal, but changing out the CV axles was not a big deal. Just make sure you have the right tools to do the job correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts