Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced both belts because it had been 3 years old and had 90K miles since the last replacement. I routinely inspect the belts and had only noticed minor cracking and nothing that concerned me. However after removal and inspection, the larger belt had a relatively large split forming which I suspect would have led to belt failure in the near future. I'm posting a photo of the split. So keep an eye on the belts if they are getting up there in mileage or age.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Good photo of something that isn't looked at very often.

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
I'm replacing mine 2

Well,
I think I should replace mine too... just because :D
That cut looks nasty... ready to snap :eek:
2 Belts: PS/AC/Alt & SC, about 60 bucks for both total :D
A piece of mind :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
alittle OT question. I want to change my belt to a shorter one (pulley kit) since I now use a smaller pulley on supercharger. Is there a way to find the correct length (one thats 2-3 shorter one, is there a system on the partnumbers that tells how long they are) or do I need to walk around measure the length of each belt I can get my hands on?

And do anyone have the partnumber for the belt that follows with the ASP pulley? I cant see it on my belt because it's rubbed away (in the beggining the belt touched the waterpump pulley)

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
alittle OT question. I want to change my belt to a shorter one (pulley kit) since I now use a smaller pulley on supercharger. Is there a way to find the correct length (one thats 2-3 shorter one, is there a system on the partnumbers that tells how long they are) or do I need to walk around measure the length of each belt I can get my hands on?

And do anyone have the partnumber for the belt that follows with the ASP pulley? I cant see it on my belt because it's rubbed away (in the beggining the belt touched the waterpump pulley)
K060547 Gates Belt pre 2000 ASP.

54.7 inches so a shorter one may be K060541 + 54.1"

Do a search for multiribbed belts. Many conversions out there.ex; TUF Serpentine Belts

·
Registered
R129 SL500 (98,97,95,92), W124 (E500&320 93Cabriolet)R107,Toyota Landcruiser2010, Nissan Murano2015,
229 Posts
The belts has very reasonable price but the effect of not changing is way more costly.
Last week I was driving my SLK for the second time after purchasing it and suddenly huge smoke start appear from the engine bay, however I parked the car on the side of the road and open the hood and what a stupid thing (the big belt was destroyed due to long time use and start to melt on the engine) but this is not the problem I manage to start the car and park it nearby little far from the high way.
the following day went to the part shop and pickup new belts, went back to the car and install them (what a nice and easy job about 10 mins) then the big surprise the didn’t start.
Had to call the recovery and take it to my ind, after inspect it he came to me with the below list:
1. A/C compressor need to be replaced
2. The starter (or self starter) needs to be replaced
3. The engine head need to be overhauled
4. The ending fan switch needs to be replaced
5. Replace the radiator (extra pressure cause some damage and water leak)
6. more & more & more small things which hard to remember
However this is a free tip to change your engine belts at least once every 18 months or 30k km unless if you have $2k which you feel that you don’t need it (consider that the labour cost here is much cheaper than other countries)
So my project of resorting/renewing the car has to be delayed for a while:crybaby2:

Regards,

·
Registered
2001 R170
29 Posts
The belts has very reasonable price but the effect of not changing is way more costly.
Last week I was driving my SLK for the second time after purchasing it and suddenly huge smoke start appear from the engine bay, however I parked the car on the side of the road and open the hood and what a stupid thing (the big belt was destroyed due to long time use and start to melt on the engine) but this is not the problem I manage to start the car and park it nearby little far from the high way.
the following day went to the part shop and pickup new belts, went back to the car and install them (what a nice and easy job about 10 mins) then the big surprise the didn’t start.
Had to call the recovery and take it to my ind, after inspect it he came to me with the below list:
However this is a free tip to change your engine belts at least once every 18 months or 30k km unless if you have $2k which you feel that you don’t need it (consider that the labour cost here is much cheaper than other countries)
So my project of resorting/renewing the car has to be delayed for a while:crybaby2:

Regards,

Replacing 1 & 2 on your list does not make sense with regards to your belt snapping. Sounds like you may have had other issues leading up to your belt problem.

Good luck though,
Dan

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Not sure I would continue to use the independent mechanic you are using. It sounds to me like you either purchased a very rough car or your mechanic was trying to pay for a vacation.

"Throwing" a belt in your car is not going to create all of the issues you listed.

·
Registered
R129 SL500 (98,97,95,92), W124 (E500&320 93Cabriolet)R107,Toyota Landcruiser2010, Nissan Murano2015,
229 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear,
After replacing the belts I have tried to start the car but it was very hard to start (as if the battery is dead) and I keep trying and trying which caused damage the starter.
After inspecting the car by my ind. he told me that the A/C compressor bearing was stock-up that's why the car did not start

Hope I was clear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts