Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchesed a used 2003 Mercedes S500 4Matic, but after a few hours (like 3-4 hours) It drops to the floor just in the front mostly to the drivers side. I reserched and found out I had two options either buy struts from Arnott or replace seals on my struts I decided to go with changing seals so i whent to my local MB dealer and bougth seals and replaced them. Paid $120 for each set and bougth a tool to change them on EBAY. Well after all that car is still droping .... What else can it be only the front drops?? Can it be a leak in the compresor, the lines???? I did a soapy water test and it never showed a leak on the top seals but since i already baugth seals figured why not change the to see. SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks!!

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
Frankly, you did a foolish thing by trying to replace the seals and wasted your money. The struts on a car of that age need changed all the way around. The rubber bags wear out and leak. No way around it.

Buy four new struts along with a new compressor and filter. You've ruined the compressor by overworking it. There are no shortcuts, only revisits to the same problem.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Freeportt. You need to check out the suspension section of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia located toward the top of the main W220 page, in the stickies. Other possibilities for the problem are described - and first among them would be a valve block problem or the need for new struts altogether. Changing the seals when there was no leak shown probably wasn't a good choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try one more thing before replacing those struts.

I sell used Mercedes's and have had several S W220 cars that dropped either the front or the rear overnight. I have done tons of research on this. Before diving headlong into struts check your air ride valve unit. On both my cars I found the valve block leaking either at the block itself or near/at the connections for the plastic tubes that go to each wheel. Put the car up on ramps so you can get under the front of it. Remove the splash shield under front bumper 8mm nuts. You will find the compressor/valve block right in front of the right side (pass side) tire. Take a spray bottle of strong soapy water and spray down the entire valve block and compressor. Look for bubbles. If you see bubbles, you found your leak. The leak will cause the air toleak out overnight. I have repaired two of these cars by doing this. The valve block is a relatively easy repair. I would also recommend buying this part new from the dealer, about $300. Replaced the valve block, 2 cars sitting proud. If the car inflates after start, I'd say your compressor is working. I get so much information from all you guys, it's my pleasure to try to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts