Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 420 SEL, 99 CLK 320 Cab-SOLD
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C compressor was leaking oil and freon out of the front seal, due to an eventual lack of oil and low freon level it failed last week :eek:

took about 4 hours to replace the expansion valve and flush the evaporator and both lines, due to having to remove the water drain system and climate control air intake system along with the wiper motor and front firewall. I was told you didnt have to remove any of this to get to the expansion valve, but I dont think even an infant could get their hand in there to accomplish the job without removing everything.

Took about 3 hours to replace the A/C compressor and receiver dryer, and flush the condensor and both suction and pressure hoses.

Its not fun when hex heads are rounded out, and E14 bolt heads are rounded off :mad:

I went ahead and replaced both sensors in the receiver dryer, hi/lo pressure switch, and temp sensor.

Took an hour to vacuum down the system and boil out all of the moisture and residual A/C flush.

All told it cost me less than $850 for all new components, didnt go with rebuilt.

Source for A/C compressor was discountacparts.com for NEW OEM with Mercedes sticker on the A/C compressor direct from Denso $515.00 + $35.00 shipping with 12 mo warranty.

Same source for Receiver dryer $50.00

Expansion valve $33.99, hi/lo switch $65.92, temp sensor $24.74 and complete gasket o ring kit for a/c system (which I highly recommend) $14.95 all from Autohaus in AZ.

99 CLK 320 system takes 7oz of PAG 46 oil, and 30oz of R134a

All told I saved a bundle and I know it was replaced correctly and to my satisfaction.

and yes it blows ICE COLD now and the compressor is quiet :D

·
Registered
2003 SL500, 2000 S500 Lorinser, 2006 SL, 06 Bentley GT
111 Posts
Had the same thing done at the dealership here in Charlotte, for $1900.00. Thank you for making me remember how bad the dealership screws you over.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes Benz 300 TD Turbo, 2002 CLK 55 AMG
344 Posts
I can see 7.0 oz of oil for total system capacity.
The 4.0 oz recommended is likely for compressor service only.
The oil can slug in different places figure 0.5 - 1 oz for the Rec drier, 1 -2 oz for the evap and 1 oz for the condenser.
The oil is a lubricant for the compressor at the lowest point in the system. If compatible the oil is suspended by the Freon and travels in various states through the system. (hot/cold, gas/liquid). Hence the compressor is gas only once the system is off all oil/freon separate and drain to the lowest available location.
Often 7-10 oz are safe or normal off the top of my head. All chassis are different.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts