Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a replacement. A local shop quoted 300 installed a while back and do not know what brand they use. It seems PGW is the most common sold.
But..
There is a set of 3 green tinted glass (front and doors) at the SL Shop online for 385 pluss 26 std shipping. It's overseas though. The tint sure would be nice here in Fl. but I don't need the door glass. 180 more is tempting so the windows match. The doors I can change myself. The labor on the windshield in question if you don't buy their glass.

Any advice on buying the glass. Is there something in the US? How picky should I be on brands?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
You are better off buying the glass locally. If the glass breaks during installation it will be warranteed by the installer. They will not be responsible for it if you purchased it yourself. I find that tinting differences don't really make a lot of difference. You can install a tinted front window and it will look fine with the non-tinted side windows. Also- Changing the side windows can become a big job with needing to adjust and setup a proper fit which can get involved.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Don't forget, sl shop is priced in GBP. That £385 is more like $491 depending on the GBP-USD spot. Probably will be $540ish dollars all in once you factor in a foreign transaction fee percentage from your credit card (unless you have a card that doesn't charge this).

You might be able to knock off VAT if you call them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of asking for the VAT to be dropped for US orders. I have paid that before knowing otherwise.

I guess I will call the shop with the 300 price and get more details. The window tint film is junk to me on the door glass so the picture sure looked good on the web site. You know the A/C is not great and the sunshine makes it worse. Rick kept me from being let down later.

On the SL Shop site the checkout had those prices ready with paypal. That's when the exchange rate would show up. I didn't get that far.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been shopping pricing in this area with very few choices. In the Tampa / St Petersburg most of the auto glass shops are national chains that turn away older cars or don't have the glass. The place I called before for 300 had the guy retired and can't. Looks like PGW stock is not around or Pilkington. I can go out of town and shipping is another 150. Then they have no responsibility for the glass breaking or fitting.

Safelite has their own stock and quoted 535 installed or 206 for glass picked up. Some say the worst glass to get. And PGW has gone down hill for fit some say.

I have one better choice for a classic shop than can order the glass for 200 but estimate the install up to 400 in labor. They won't quote. 100 per hr. He has a decent (China) import glass.

The rest of the shops turned me down. MB dealers a dead end. The independent shops MB dealers used to send out work to turned down the work. Safelite or the custom classic shop. That's it so far after 20 calls.

Is there anything needed besides adheasive and glass? Rubber seal? Been trying to gather info when I call.
Can anyone add to this topic? It seems the windshield is getting rare but why with so many cars that use it?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When the light is right mine looks like snow storm, so many pits and scratches. But isn't there a filler or something that can be applied?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just as a side note: if you order from the SL Shop you don't pay VAT. You also don't need to call them or ask. Once you put in your mailing address and country it is omitted automatically.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as a side note: if you order from the SL Shop you don't pay VAT. You also don't need to call them or ask. Once you put in your mailing address and country it is omitted automatically.
Yes I looked at the checkout and 29 was taken off from shipping info. The glass is 149 and 92.50 to ship here from overseas. That is less than shipping from Adsit 2 states away or ebay.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right. It always bears checking. That said I have bought from these folks and I'd be concerned about packaging from the U.K. They ship through France and my three packages have become pretty beat up with one chrome part sticking out of the box. Good products but questionable packing for overseas shipment. Personally, although I like their stuff you'd hate to get a broken windshield and have to fight to get a new one from the UK. Make sure the price difference would be worth the possible PITA of buying overseas. Just my .02.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Franco380
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing