Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the valve cover gasket, is it a DIY for a novice? What would be the steps to take and things to be careful of?

This would be for an 86 190e 2.3L engine. Also, anyone know how to check water pump to make sure it is working fine other than checkng the temp gauge? And what should temp gauge read when driving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
I have a 1985 190D and my temp indicator sits right at the top or just above the the "80"

Hope it helps

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
The valve cover gasket is very easy. The only bit you'll proberly wory about is tightening the bolts when replacing the cover.

First unplug spark plugs and put the leads to one side, take out dipstick, remove air box and breather pipe, remove 5 bolts in the cover.

Carefully pull the cover away (it'll proberly be a bit sticky so be patient but keep pulling!) With cover off, remove old gasket carefully and check the edge of cover for any debris. Then check the cylinder head for debris, wipe around the rim to dry off the oil.

Do all this bearing in mind you dont want to accidently drop any new debris into the head!

Place new gasket on the cover, it should be a fairly tight fit. Place cover back on cylinder head and gently press down front and back at same time. Look to see if gasket is sat correctly in the groove and in the half moon shapes at front and back. Some say put gasket on the cylinder head groove and place cover on gasket, see which works for you.

Drop bolts back in then tighten each bolt in sequence. Starting with front right bolt, then front left, then centre left, then back right, finally back left. The tricky bit is not to overtighten. When I did this a few weeks back I tightened using standard socket set
until I could tighten no more without "pushing it" The torque setting is only 11 lbf ft or 15 Nm. So dont go mad. Tighten a bit at a time in sequence so no bolt is much tighter than any other while doing this part of the job.

Just a warning about the cover itself - they made it from magnesium so its very light but also damaged easily compared to steel. So gently does it!

Put the leads back put the dipstick back and start engine let it run for a few mins and check with torch all round to see if any leaks are seen.

If no leaks switch off engine and reassemble the bits you took off. Then wash hands thoroughly as they'll be damned dirty!

Mike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the very informative and detailed reply! It looked like it might be easy but you never know, and never having worked on an MB before I wanted to make sure.

$10-15 for a gasket and 1/2 an hour or so replace it is a lot better than the $89.00 a mechanic wanted.

Just one last question, should I apply some sort of adhesive or glue or sealer or something?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Don't use a sealer or adhesive. When installing, a light coating of motor oil is all you need.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190 1.8 E (02/1993)
9 Posts
Carefully pull the cover away (it'll proberly be a bit sticky so be patient but keep pulling!)
Hi guys,
Sorry to reopen such an old discussion, but I'm having quite some trouble getting my valve cover off... Any tips on doing it without damaging any parts??

Tnx,

Renze

·
Registered
1992 2.3 190E
1,548 Posts
Carefully pull the cover away (it'll proberly be a bit sticky so be patient but keep pulling!)
Hi guys,
Sorry to reopen such an old discussion, but I'm having quite some trouble getting my valve cover off... Any tips on doing it without damaging any parts??

Tnx,

Renze
Valve cover itself, or things to get at it?

First, are you sure you removed ALL the bolts.

If the Valve Cover, of which it should pop off quite easily, maybe someone before you used a sealant which is not required.

If just a little stuck, a light tap here and there with a Rubber Mallet works. Palm of your hand but don't hurt yourself.

Last resort is find a spot to pry under the lip. Use something as wide as possible to spread the load. Just be careful, don't expect it to Pop prying in one location. Apply a bit of pressure and hold, allow a few seconds of pressure to help and move to another location as it starts to move.

As it says above, it's not Steel but with some reasonable care you won't hurt it.

I would suggest to any Noob, take a digital pic for help on reinstall in case you need to know does this wire go over or under here.

Pretty easy job, I just wished I had of painted mine when it was off.

Dan

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,624 Posts
Quick question re valve cover bolts new crush washers?

The W126 tends to leak from the bolt holes if new copper crush washers are not used every time the valve cover bolts are tightened.
Is the W201 similar / use crush / other type of washers for the bolts?
Thanks

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
I have removed and replaced the valve gasket cover on my mercedes 190E 2.6 1989. Really not that hard to do. Be carefull of wires from the engine wiring harness getting stuck underneath the cover when you reinstal it. The wires to the cold start valve accidentally got stuck underneath the cover when it was taken off at some point now I need to change the gasket again !

Thats ok though. Could a frayed wire to the cold start vale not cause the car to start ? because right now my car does not not start I am going to splice and solder these wires just to make sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts