Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While considering new tires for my 560SL, I thought I would see what shape the spare was in.
This is what I found! The rims on my car are chromed.
Should I keep this? I don't know how safe it would be to even inflate it. I didn't clean off the preserving wax/coating.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting
Also, the wheel mounting bolt was still there unused! (I may keep and use this)

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,698 Posts
While considering new tires for my 560SL, I thought I would see what shape the spare was in.
This is what I found! The rims on my car are chromed.
Should I keep this? I don't know how safe it would be to even inflate it. I didn't clean off the preserving wax/coating.
View attachment 2724625 Also, the wheel mounting bolt was still there unused! (I may keep and use this)
The tyre is probably past it's use by date, I'm not at all keen on driving on anything older than 10 years, so yes replace it if it is
I don't think Pirellis were standard factory tyres back in the day, I think I read here somewhere Michelins were
And definitely keep the mounting bolt, more handy that you realise
AND keep that card, all adds value to your 107 come the day you sell it

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,752 Posts
I've traveled ALL over with my 38 year old spare in my trunk. Brand "new"! On a brand "new" Bundt!

But I also carry my CAA and Visa cards with me along with patch kits and aerosol spray goo tire repair.

I wouldn't want to do 60 mph on my spare....but it'll get me outta trouble.

And it looks new!

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,329 Posts
My 560 sold with its original spare still in tact, nestled safely in the boot. And yes, it was a cinturato… OEM from my research.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,752 Posts
My 560 sold with its original spare still in tact, nestled safely in the boot. And yes, it was a cinturato… OEM from my research.
Pretty sure mine is a Pirelli, as well.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,026 Posts
I didn't either until I took a good look at all the manuals left by the previous owners...the plot thickens...

View attachment 2724652
They were. My 1988 came with Pirelli (black car). My 86 came with Michlens (red car). When I was at the dealer I saw Michlen, Pirelli and Continental coming in on the new cars. Like the OP I had and may still have the genuine Pirelli spare. I would have no problem using it if the rubber did not appear cracked. In the trunk for 33 years and not exposed to UV or other elements is better than 5 years on the road and in the sun IMO.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about a 5 tire rotation, regardless, I'll need a functional spare. Planning on driving the 'Ole Girl' to Santa Barbara in January. 3,500 miles round trip.
Agree with my AAA policy and I'll be driving on interstate highways... so maybe use the space for other items for the long trip.

Think there's any interest from a collector or restorer wanting 100% original equipment? Or are tires 'exempt' from that requirement?

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They were. My 1988 came with Pirelli (black car). My 86 came with Michlens (red car). When I was at the dealer I saw Michlen, Pirelli and Continental coming in on the new cars. Like the OP I had and may still have the genuine Pirelli spare. I would have no problem using it if the rubber did not appear cracked. In the trunk for 33 years and not exposed to UV or other elements is better than 5 years on the road and in the sun IMO.

View attachment 2724689

View attachment 2724690
To start, I may air it up to pressure and see if it holds. I does look like new rubber under that crap preservative coating.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,026 Posts
OR... clean off the preservative and make into the coolest glass top table ever!
I sold a guy an M117 engine block, he was using to make a table with.

Speaking of spare tires. Everyone should check their spare tire pressure occasionally. I just got a flat with my Taurus and found my spare tire was very low. Fortunately I was at a service area on I95 with FREE air.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,680 Posts
OR... clean off the preservative and make into the coolest glass top table ever!
Hey that is interesting.
I have a mint Bundt spare tire from a parts car.
Wondering if some heavy duty plant stand can hold the tire/wheel and a round piece of glass.
Hmmm ... then again, what would the wifey say ???

Reactions: Brucebenznut

·
Registered
1974 450SL; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,805 Posts
Yeah, that's my problem. I need another chromed Bundt wheel. 1 of my chromed wheels is missing th chrome steel inserts in the lug holes and I need 1 with the inserts to replace it. Then I would have toe bad chrome wheel for a spare.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts