Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed the Alpine x001 instead of my stock radio and would not go back to the stock radio. I have great music choice with Ipod and the display in the Alpine I really like.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - iDA-X001
HF:

Did you do the install yourself? My wife's 98 wagon has a cassette only and it's got to go!

If you did, any tricks to the install?

TIA,

Chris

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So i picked up the cassette adapter for the ipod and it works fine. But, i get a warning "beep" that I assume is telling me to close the cassette door. Is that what I'm hearing?

·
Registered
355 Posts
alex, i took the ashtray, cubby and radio out. took the shell off the radio. taped the cord of the cassette to the top of the tape and out of the back of the cassette deck. ran it through a little groove in the back of radio. plugged the radio in and seated the cassette. disconnected and put shell back on. pushed the wire in and reinstalled radio. then put the cubby back in with the wire behind it. then pulled the wire through the ashtray and reinstalled the ashtray. it sounds involved, but it realy is not. i have heard of people running the wire out of the screen door by creating a groove in the door therefore avoiding the beep. i think it is cleaner to do it my way and you can even hard wire the ipod charger to the cig lighter. then when you park, you can close the ashtray and have your ipod out of site. pm me if you need help.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Alexnatt,

If you are interested I can post or PM some pics of my Sat/Ipod install using the cassette adapter. I notched out the radio for the wire, to get the door to close completely and routed the wire around the back of the radio and connected it to an Ipod jack in cubby and sat radio in ash tray.

cass adapter $20
Radio shack $10
Radio key $18
XM radio $69
XM sub 1yr $84
So $200 gets a nice upgrade that has a stand alone $500 I pod interface beat hands down.
OK snapped some pics, Lets start with tools I used
Radio Keys
DCP40927.jpg
A common mill file,
DCP40928.jpg
Also used but not pictured soldering iron, and Drill and bit.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
What it looks like, no different than stock
DCP40916.jpg
Push the EJ button to slide the cassette adapter in. Remove the top of center console ashtray and cubby box. Then use the keys to remove the radio and route the wire around the back of radio. **GET RADIO CODE BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT IT**
DCP40919.jpg
I made my notch in the right hand corner, I filed front and top so that the wire was not pinched and the door would close fully with out door alarm. Used a household vacuum while I filed.
DCP40920.jpg
Leave enough slack in the wire so that it can still be removed. On the other end of the wire (long enough to reach back of cubby) you need to solder it to the IPod plug and an additional wire to XM sat radio.
DCP40921.jpg
Here is the jack for the Ipod, it works when the I pod is plugged in. When the I pod is not plugged in it reverts to XM sat radio.
DCP40922.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
This is the plug that I used from Radio Shack it switches source when plugged in.
DCP40929.jpg
The schematic diagram of the plug.
#1 common
#4 & #3 left and right from XM sat
#5 & #2 left and right to cassette adapter
DCP40930.jpg
I pod on line (plugged in)
DCP40923.jpg
All opened up, Ipod classic will fit in cubby no problem
DCP40924.jpg
To fit the XM sat radio I removed the ashtray liner and the ashtray light
Attached with adhesive, and tapped power from cigarette lighter, routed sat antenna under glove box.
DCP40926.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I did a quick and easy for the Sat antenna just stuck it in front of the sun light detector and so far it works OK.
DCP40925.jpg
I made bracket from the glove box to hold the I pod, with out any mount points on the dash, still don't know what the final mount will be.
DCP40931.jpg
Hard to see movies in direct sunlight but in the shade and at night no problem, (Steven Segal in Fire down Below)
DCP40932.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interesting thread.

One note of caution on the cassette adapter--I used this on one of my previous cars and after a time, the rubber band that drives the cassette tape gear broke. I'm not sure if the MB head unit has the rubber band driving the gear, but if so, use caution. I think this was especially a problem when I was using it after starting the car up on sub zero mornings and the dummy gear in the cassette adapter was slow to move (along with pretty much everything else).

Once the rubber band broke, the cassette adapter would no longer function.

Regards,

Boris

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for posting. That's a great help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey All,
Trying to add 3.5mm pin jack as well.
Has anyone gone the Becker Autosound route? You send radio in to them and for $100 they hard wire to the tape input internally (tape player will no longer work). Basically creates an aux input when radio is in tape mode.

I know it is $$$ but I have never liked the quality of those tape adapters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smartdeck Users?

Anyone using that Smartdeck Adapter? Any idea if it works with an iPhone 3GS?

Think I'll be trying to install that and route the wire and the hard-wired-to-lighter power adapter for an iPod. Seems like this will do everything I'm looking for:
1. Still use CD Changer
2. Use iPod and control with steering wheel buttons.

Now if I could only figure out how to integrate the Benz's hands-free mic with the iPhone, I'd have it made!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Great information!

Hey All,
Trying to add 3.5mm pin jack as well.
Has anyone gone the Becker Autosound route? You send radio in to them and for $100 they hard wire to the tape input internally (tape player will no longer work). Basically creates an aux input when radio is in tape mode.
I know it is $$$ but I have never liked the quality of those tape adapters.
This is the full description: "The auxiliary audio is hardwired into the audio section after the cassette section. It is not fed through the tape head."

It's a much higher quality hookup. $100 sounds quite reasonable to me considering it's done by Becker themselves!

6003_200_02

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my radio back from Beckers - works GREAT, sounds GREAT. Only issue - when using my GPS as a blue tooth handsfree for my cell with it plugged into the lighter I get lots of engine noise. Obviously unplugging the GPS and running on batttery power solves this. I need to try my ipod plugged in. But other than that I am quite happy with the aux input.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is an idea from my audio set up. My stock becker system crapped out on me so I wanted to replace it with some quality digital sound, and a non alien style look. I found this Pioneer DEH-P3100UB which was all black and silver. It has IPOD integration, a USB port, MP3, basically everything I was looking for in a car audio system next to NAV & DVD. I believe I bought this from Best Buy for $130 a few months ago. I rarely use my IPOD to be honest, with the USB port, I simply hook up my removable hard drive with 200GB worth of music.

I place my hard drive and remote in the lower ashtray section.

·
Registered
321 Posts
tabaka -- did you install yourself? Did BestBuy install? Are you using the Benz amplifier? or going right from the Pioneer to the speakers?

Any detail on the ease or difficulty of this installation, or any tricks, would be helpful.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
31 Participants
FernUS
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing