Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the stereo makeover thing this weekend, going for an Alpine + iPod approach. From various searches in this board I've decided to leave the Bose amp and the subs alone, but will be replacing the door speakers. I'm putting the ipod in where my crap-tastic MB Timeport was installed. (Anyone need a TDMA headset?)

Since I can, I'm going to add XM to the system and have been pondering where to put the antenna. I never renewed tele-aid, although if the price dropped I'd probably consider it. While scoping the trunk the tele-aid antenna looks pretty easy to take off. Has anyone done this? The XM antenna is the same kind of thing, if a bit smaller.

Looking for thoughts, thanks.

On an separate note, are there good instructions on how to get into that center console anywhere? I can get a mount replacing the dock for the phone, but a little concerned about running the cables. I could swear I've seen dealer instructions for getting the phone kit in, but can't seem to find them any longer.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
I have a starmark MB. Around the antenna, there was cut metal and scrap marks. The guy had a custom stereo, so I assumed he had replaced the antenna. I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace it. Make sure you make a good seal with the trunk lid, or you end up with a puddle in your trunk.

·
Registered
2002 SLK320
5 Posts
I had the dealership place the XM antenna just in front of the tele-aid, running the wiring through the same conduit back up to the dash. Not cheap, but at least I know for sure I'm not going to have trouble with the antenna interfering with the top mechanism. No reason they couldn't just remove the tele-aid and put on the XM antenna.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
where does the teleaid wire come out??can we just use THAT for XM antenna? Prob very similar frequencies used here....

My XM antenna is mounted inside ,on the dash,in the middle front-i'm getting some signal loss in cloudy weather and in bank drive ups...

Adrian

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
The GPS satellites transmit two signals on different frequencies. One is at 1575.42 MHz and the other at 1227.6 MHz.

XM transmits at 2332.5 - 2345. Sirius transmits around the same.

My guess is the GPS antenna is tuned for its specific bands. My guess is no. There is nothing that says you can't use the housing/location though. I know Sirius uses repeaters in urban areas. Not sure what XM does.

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
bbsilver said:
The GPS satellites transmit two signals on different frequencies. One is at 1575.42 MHz and the other at 1227.6 MHz.

XM transmits at 2332.5 - 2345. Sirius transmits around the same.
I know it's an old thread, but thought I'd share the last bit of info, continueing on bbsilver's excellent info.

Sirius uses a frequency of 2320~2332.5Mhz.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 CAB
94 Posts
I too have preplaced my stock with an Alpine\iPod\XM and just have the antenna on the trunk routing the wire down the same track as the third tail light and lock. I did wonder though if I can aquire a tele-aid antenna, open it and replace the sat with XM. My '99 does not have the tele-aid antenna.
Anyone crack one of these open?
There was a place on the web that sold color matched XM antennas but they are no more. I'm sure someone does but I've not heard of it.

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
cocktailsfirst said:
I did wonder though if I can aquire a tele-aid antenna, open it and replace the sat with XM. My '99 does not have the tele-aid antenna.
Anyone crack one of these open?
Yes, I have done it. It's pretty simple. Since you don't have the hole already in your trunk lid, you will need to drill since the GPS bump antenna has 2 posts that go below the surface of the trunk.

You can also get color matched GPS bump antennas directly from M-B dealership parts departments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts