Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

REPLACE SHIFTER KNOB

2416 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Peter Guenther
I BOUGHT A NEW MERCEDES SHIFT KNOB. HOW DO I TAKE THE OLD ONE OFF?? (1994 S320)THANK YOU...
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Re:

There are two types of shift knobs available. Post 95 models can just upgrade the top part of the knob. Pre 95 models are one piece and have the knob and metal stem attached together, so they have to be replaced together.

Assuming your is a one piece and the replacement you've bought is also one piece

Place car in the lowest gear (usually 2) and then press down VERY hard whilst rotating anti-clockwise.
The knob will release with the stem. Fitting is reverse of the above.

The difficult part of the operation is pressing down hard enough to break the resistance of the spring. I had to use my full body weight whilst pushing.

Good luck[:)]

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is just the knob, with the mercedes emblem on top. Do I had to get an adapter...

I think it is just the knob, with the mercedes emblem on top. Do I had to get an adapter? I bought it off ebay, and the AD said it fits my 1994 s320...I hope so[:)]

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Shift Knob

I think Gill is correct the knob and shaft are one piece, and can be removed by pushing down and turning.I attempted it and was afraid to break something. The intro to service states it is a twist in/out and push down

· Registered
444 Posts
You need to ID which type you have fitted to your car at the moment.The older style - ...

You need to ID which type you have fitted to your car at the moment.

The older style - one piece shift levers are single colour, are relatively flat and have and less bulky appearence than the newer style levers. The newer type are wood/leather, and have a MB emblem on the top.

Replacements for the older type that look like the newer style lever can be obtained, as a single piece from the MB dealer. Some aftermarket companies make good replicas.

I looked up the crossover manufacture date and it is October 1994. So if your car is pre Oct 94 then Its likely you have the older shift lever

If your car has the older type lever, then the newer type will not fit. I'm afraid there is no adapter available to accomodate the change.

Let me know the ebay ID number and I'll tell you from the picture which type you have bought.

[;)]

· Registered
444 Posts
easy mistake to make

You have bought the 'newer' type knob.
If your car hasnt the newer type lever fitted, you can easily sell it on for profit [8)]

I paid about £50 ($75) for a brandnew aftermarket one in burlwalnut wood which fits the older type lever and matches the wood on the dashboard perfectly

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Shift lever

In the 92 intro to service manual:
THE SELECTOR LEVER IS NO LONGER ATTACHED WITH THREADS AND LOCK NUT, THE SELECTOR LEVER IS ATTACHED TO THE CLEVIS WITH A BAYONET TYPE LOCK
MOVE LEVER TO POSITION "D", PRESS SELECTOR LEVER DOWN WITH PALM OF YOUR HAND, TURN SELECTOR LEVER SIMULTANEOUSLY 90 DEGREES CLOCK-WISE AND PULL UP.
TO INSTALL:
PUSH SELECTOR LEVER INTO CLEVIS OF THE SHIFT HOUSING WITH LOCKING PIN TURNED 90 DEGREES TO DRIVING DIRECTION, TURN LEVER CLOCKWISE UNTILL LRVER SNAPS INTO PLACE.
I have heard some comments about givig it a sharp rap while pushing down, there appears to be a spring at the base

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.