Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rubber donut-like hangers (right at the tailpipe) split and I have the part to replace it. Problem is I can't get my hands up there to do the job. Has anyone faced this one? I assume you have to remove the rear lower trim piece........true? How do you get it off? Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Bend a hook out of a heavy wire coat hanger ...

Slip the donut into the hanger on the car body, put the hanger into the donut, and get a Vise Grip plier to clamp onto the piece of coat hanger. Pull like hell [}:)] to get the donut onto the muffler hook, then work the coat hanger out of the donut.
It's a real pain in the a$$, but I've done it a few times that way. If you can't find a heavy enough coat hanger, use a link of chain from a decorative bent wire chain. [;)] You'll still need the Vise Grips because you really need to pull on that donut hard. A little soap will make it easier to get the wire out of the donut.
It helps if you have the back corner jacked up so you have some room to move around in the back. Jack stands are the way to go when you're under the car.

·
Registered
98 SLK230k/02 SLK32
742 Posts
I replaced donut hangers, when I installed a Brabus Exhaust. (more) ....

As Bruce mentioned, it is a real Pain, actually the hardest part of the install of my exhaust. I had the car up on ramps, and put the two new donuts on first, I had to spray them with Silicon Spray to get them to slide into the hangers. I then used some wide cable ties, around the donuts, and used locking pliers to pull the donuts down (and out) so that I could get them under the hanger for the muffler. I was afraid that a hanger, or thin cable tie would rip the donuts. Since I had the new muffler not 'connected', I had the luxury of being able to angle the muffler to get one of the donuts on easier than the other. After I got the second donut on, I then connected the muffler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts