Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C280 210k miles
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a PS pump from a salvage vehicle. Filled with correct fluided and all seemed fine as I tested it with the front end still in the air. Went for a drive tonight and after 2 miles stopped to put air in tires. Left car running. Got back in to drive and.... No. Power steering. Drove another 5 miles with lead heavy steering the parked and shut off car. Got back in to drive after about 3 min, and voila, power steering fine and still good after about 7 miles.

Any ideas what's up? Perhaps air in the line had to get worked out? Seems fine now.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
Unless it happens again, could be a fluke with the pump as you said. To bleed the pump, turn the wheel all the way until you hear it work a bit, and apply a little pressure for 1 second, then do the same the other direction. Do this maybe 2-3 times and verify the fluid level is correct.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
Another way to bleed the pump which I use regularly at work is to use a vacuum style brake bleeder on it. Find an adapter or piece of rubber that will seal to the top of the reservoir , hook vacuum hose to it and start vacuuming air out. Remove and repeat about 3 times; no more air.

·
Registered
1999 C280 210k miles
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're confirming my suspicion that I could have had air in the line. Thanks. Seems to have worked itself out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts