Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of OEM bi-xenon on eBay and plan to install them, replacing the original halos. If anyone have done so, please advise. Is it a plug-and-go business ? :confused:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't know about plug and play but your self leveling and cornering lights feature will NOT work.

You should have just bought the MTEC HID conversion kit. Much easier to install and you don't pay for stuff that won't work anyway.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You will need to take the vehicle to the dealer to get them to change the coding in the computer to recognize that there are Bi-Xenons installed. Note that in order to get the headlamps install, the front bumper will have to come off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Yazo and Drew,
I did installed the MTEC bought on eBay at $340 nine months ago, when my ML was just a week-old. Howerver, the left bulb got trouble last month and I am taking their 2 year warantee, which Steve from MTEC honoured and willing to replace the ballast.
I want to learn from someone has been done the replacement from Halo to OEM bi-xenons. As far as I know, there is no StarDiagnosis coding needed, since the OEM and the MTEC both use similar kind of ballasts and ignitors. Will keep you guys posted.
Happy new year.

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
3,390 Posts
You will need to take the vehicle to the dealer to get them to change the coding in the computer to recognize that there are Bi-Xenons installed. Note that in order to get the headlamps install, the front bumper will have to come off.

Good luck!
Not as easy as it was on the 163.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
l looked into...

having this done at the dealership...Drew is correct..the front bumper has to be removed, and some other work as well......Coding is required......Cost was around $700.00, add the cost of the lights, another $600.00 from E-bay...l didn't feel it was worth it...l should have been smarter and purchased a M-Class that had some more options that l liked, but l was on the clock with a rental (since l had my M-Class stolen)....l will be more particular with my next M-Class !!!!!!!!

·
3,390 Posts
having this done at the dealership...Drew is correct..the front bumper has to be removed, and some other work as well......Coding is required......Cost was around $700.00, add the cost of the lights, another $600.00 from E-bay...l didn't feel it was worth it...l should have been smarter and purchased a M-Class that had some more options that l liked, but l was on the clock with a rental (since l had my M-Class stolen)....l will be more particular with my next M-Class !!!!!!!!
I've done the factory bi-Xenons twice now. I'll never mess with another retrofit again.

My '06 had just 24,000 miles on it when I turned it in and it was running great. If it hadn't been for the facelift and the new goodies on the '09 I would have bought the '06. If I had had an ulimited budget I would have added the heating package and the 3-zone A/C to the mix but I am very happy with this one as it is.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hey Andy........

I've done the factory bi-Xenons twice now. I'll never mess with another retrofit again.

My '06 had just 24,000 miles on it when I turned it in and it was running great. If it hadn't been for the facelift and the new goodies on the '09 I would have bought the '06. If I had had an ulimited budget I would have added the heating package and the 3-zone A/C to the mix but I am very happy with this one as it is.
Not to tease you...but l switched out my 2-zone climate control to the 3-zone climate units (the front and back)....lt was a plug and play...Now, my son in the rear can adjust his setting to whatever makes him feel comfortable...l bought them on E-bay..for a song..

·
3,390 Posts
Not to tease you...but l switched out my 2-zone climate control to the 3-zone climate units (the front and back)....lt was a plug and play...Now, my son in the rear can adjust his setting to whatever makes him feel comfortable...l bought them on E-bay..for a song..
Okay, I'll bite. What was involved? Did you have to commission any of the changes in the computer? What kind of money did you spend, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Of course not..

Okay, I'll bite. What was involved? Did you have to commission any of the changes in the computer? What kind of money did you spend, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,
l purchased both units on E-bay for $250.00.....l switched them out....and did nothing to the computer....The connectors for the 2-zone were identical for the 3-zone...Now..of course, finding them on E-bay would be a start...and l lucked out....Let me find the posting ......Give me a sec...........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1389507-m-class-retro-fitters.html

·
3,390 Posts
l purchased both units on E-bay for $250.00.....l switched them out....and did nothing to the computer....The connectors for the 2-zone were identical for the 3-zone...Now..of course, finding them on E-bay would be a start...and l lucked out....Let me find the posting ......Give me a sec...........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1389507-m-class-retro-fitters.html
Thanks C-Rod,

The back of the '09 ML does not have any controls for the rear seat passengers like the '06 did. In that I am a little disappointed and I now feel like I should have held out for the 3-zone system.

The question that I have is if you put in the rear control for the 3-zone system can it still control the fan speeds and temperature or are there additional pieces that are needed to make that happen?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck!
Back to my question. Bumper removal is hard, especially for re-installation, but I did that a few times. In OEM bi-xenon MLs, the other light is just daytime running light. Both low and high beams are behind the projector.

The hard part is the Halo low beam plug, must be replace with the low-and-high beam plug for the bi-xenon. Does anyone know that part number ? and how to combine the two old plugs into only one for bi-xenon ?
:bowdown::crybaby2::crybaby2:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
No....

Thanks C-Rod,

The back of the '09 ML does not have any controls for the rear seat passengers like the '06 did. In that I am a little disappointed and I now feel like I should have held out for the 3-zone system.

The question that I have is if you put in the rear control for the 3-zone system can it still control the fan speeds and temperature or are there additional pieces that are needed to make that happen?
Just the unit is needed..no other parts....The unit allows for full control of fan speed and temperature...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts