Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got into an accident
my front of the hood is dented and needs to be fixed

i was originally going to goto a body shop which they said they can fix for like 200

but my dad said i shuold replace the whole hood instead of fixing it
because hes afraid that paint job n dent job is not going to look perfect

so i was just going to order benz hood..aftermarket which cost like 200
but he also wanted me to goto the dealer n order it from them

n it cost 800 from dealers

my question is
are after market hood reliable?
and if i get a paint job on the hood...would it look the same after years later?

even at benz dealer, they said the hood is in black and they would have to tke it to a shop near by and paint it
if so then wats the difference between my body shop and their body shop
its same old paint job no?
my dad thinks its going to chip and later gona look different color
please gimme some ideas..

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Please rewrite your question in English, fill in your profile, and resubmit. n is not a work, neither is gona. We have no idea what car you are talking about, what year it is, or where you are.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
6,905 Posts
i recently got into an accident
my front of the hood is dented and needs to be fixed

i was originally going to goto a body shop which they said they can fix for like 200

but my dad said i shuold replace the whole hood instead of fixing it
because hes afraid that paint job n dent job is not going to look perfect

so i was just going to order benz hood..aftermarket which cost like 200
but he also wanted me to goto the dealer n order it from them

n it cost 800 from dealers

my question is
are after market hood reliable?
and if i get a paint job on the hood...would it look the same after years later?

even at benz dealer, they said the hood is in black and they would have to tke it to a shop near by and paint it
if so then wats the difference between my body shop and their body shop
its same old paint job no?
my dad thinks its going to chip and later gona look different color
please gimme some ideas..
IMO you should take it to the dealer, they will warranty the parts and labor just incase it will fade later on and ofcourse they will removed and replaced the the existing damage hood with a new one from the factory.

Talk to your insurance agent for the coverage amount they're willing to pay for the repair and I'm sure they will refer you to their prefered body shop to do the repair but insist that you want the dealer.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Most dealerships do not do bodywork, those that do often offer substandard work. I would advise that you have the job done by a reliable body shop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
go to several auto body shops and ask them what they think if its worth buying a new hood then do it. I wouldn't dish out 800 dollars for a new hood. Your dad thinks the paint is going to chip well thats not true because the manufacturers do the same exact thing as long as they use the same exact paint code of your car you should be fine. Also if you wax your car the paint will thank you for it in years to come. the dealer just wants to make money.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
No matter what you do, the replacement paint job is unlikely to be as good as the original. If your dealer does body work, I would at least ask for their opinion and a price quote. I'm leaning toward your father's and JOE55's opinions here. I use my dealer for almost everything, but mine has some outside body shop they use.

As others have said, there are a lot of good body shops that repaint parts of cars that you can trust and will stand behind their work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
when we needed some paint work done on our benz we talked to the dealership and they sent us to a body shop in town that had gone through the MB certifications for paint and body work. They did a fantastic job even 3 years later you can't tell what they painted. The prices were extremely reasonable as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts