Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace Center Support Bearing (for the drive shaft) for my '98 ML320. The following are the prices...
Just the bearing (at local dealer): $31
Drive Shaft Support WITH bearing (on-line): $205

What would you guys recommend, replace the drive shaft support as well as the bearing ?

thanks, in advance
pcy

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Symptoms are ... Drive Shaft whines. Currently, the noise is pronounced when I am backing into garage. From what I understand, it slowly/eventually gets worse and needs to be replaced. I would rather proactively replace, rather than waiting for the car to be stranded on the road one day.

pcy

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Did you check your wheel bearings also? they make similar noise.

How's your half shaft? Boots don't have to go bad before they start making noises from the inside.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sthu,

I thought that the bad wheel bearings make noise
when making turns; bad left bearing would make noise during right turn and vice versa. In my case, the noise comes when I am backing up on my driveway [incline] in to the garage. It almost sounds metal-on-metal.

The truck has 130K miles; I know for sure the center bearing has not been replaced. From the discussion boards, I've learned that these center support bearings go bad. Hence, I thought of replacing.

Now, my dilema is whether to replace just the bearing or the whole center support with the bearing.

thanks for your input.
pcy

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
onesixthree - 5/7/2005 2:49 AM

might as well do both while the shaft is off, no?
Well... I am looking at the propeller shaft diagram (detailed). The Support is basically a metal bracket in which the bearing resides in. So, I was thinking if it's all a piece of metal bracket that holds the bearing, then replacing the bearing may be all is needed.

I hear you; I might just replace the whole assembly.
thanks for your feedback.

pcy

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Two different animals.

Wheel bearing inside each wheel hub.

Drive shaft CV joints (aka universal joint) for each side. I've seen CV joint by the wheel go bad (as oppose to by the transmission) with a good CV boot.

Make sure which one before you start replacing parts and you know MB parts ain't cheap.

Do you have one of those stethosope-for-cars? Comes in very handy to pinpoint bearing problems.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1 Posts
whats up,
I have the same problem with my 2001 ml320, it makes the slight squeeking noise when i am backing up and it also makes a slight clicking noise when i accelerate and come to a stop, someone told me it might be a u joint, but after reading this i think it might be the bearing.
Any advice?
Thanks

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,095 Posts
You guys are all talking about completly different things. The Center Support Bearing for the drive shaft has Nothing to do with CV joints or wheel bearings. I had mine replaced on my 98ML 7 years ago and as far as I can remember the bearing is molded into a rubber bushing which is in turn molded on the angle support bracket. It didn't look like you could just change only the bearing.
Mike

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,043 Posts
Mike'sML is absolutely correct. The center support and bearing are one. I know you will do whatever you want, but I would strongly suggest buying this item from the dealer. If your online purchase is not an OE M/B part don't do it. Also in many instances, I have had to cut away the center supports on other types of vehicles, in order to remove them. Then the U-joint and yoke have to be removed in order to slide the carrier assembly on. Then it has to be put on just right or else the support is ruined.

Below is what I have on center support. Hope it helps.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts