Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a lamp failure indicator yesterday, but did not notice which lamp was out until it got dark. the light for the center of the instrument panel which illumnates the speedometer is out. Any experience in replacing these? Do you know what size / type bulb is used so I can purchase before ripping my dash apart? Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
001-544-55-94 Bulb (clock, speed,) - this should be correct. I used the MB cluster removal hooks and removed the cluster and took the old bulb to the dealer for replacement. You can drive the car with the cluster removed. After returning home with the "good" bulb, I replaced the bulb and reinstalled the cluster.

If I remember correctly, there are two bulbs (right and left side) that light the speed dial.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Dash Lamp for Speedometer in S600?

Be VERY VERY careful when you remove the instrument pod.. This and other forums are littered with threads about people who have broken theirs getting it out..I have some pics on how to make the hooks, and where to insert them in order to remove the pod if you need them.. you might like to think about getting some LED replacements as the b***rd things usually blow another one as soon as you replace the one thats gone..the LED ones have a life of at least 10,000 hrs
just a thought.. you havn't turned them off by any chance have you ????

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
I wrote a procedure on this a long time ago. I also recommended the LED bulbs. you can get the large ones from superbrightleds.com, the smaller ones have to be MB OEM from dealership. I have not blown any LEDs for the past 2 years. Be Advised, the small ones burn up during installation quickly. Make sure keys are in your pocket during any work, and be sure to buy several extra ones from the dealership, you can always return them if not used. The samll ones cost about $6 each or something.

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great feedback. This is one of the best forums I ever participated in. Hope I can learn enough about my vehicle to contribute to other needy souls.

Thanks a bunch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts