Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD (90K), 1985 300CDT (69K) brand new, 1970 250C, 1989 190D (45K) brand new
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the original clutch fan with an electric one?

I just replaced the fan clutch on the wife's 83 300DT. Of course, I had to add a second mortgage to buy it. That hurt.

Now the fan clutch on my 83 300SD has bit the dust. I really don't want to fork out another $165 for a fan clutch if I could put that toward a good electric replacement.

I was checking out a 16" universal S-Blade (17" overall diameter). The fan, relay, wiring and temperature control switch is available for about $150. So I was thinking this might be a good time to convert over.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Isn't there already an electric fan in the front of the radiator?

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500 SEC & 1987 190E 2.6
201 Posts
IMO....you get what you pay for in fans. You buy a cheapy universal....I can almost guarantee that it won't cool well enough in Az. Especially if you use your A/C. For instance...I pretty sure I remember mramay saying his fans were $300 plus, but they definitely work.

As an aside.....what are the measurements of your radiator?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
One of the things I discovered while trying out different electrical fan solutions is the importance of the shroud.

Instead of getting a pair of powerful fans, but without a properly fitting shroud, I'd recommend you replace your original clutch fan with a single 16" electrical fan that works with the OEM shroud.

A 16" Spal fan like the one below should be adequate.

SPAL USA

The other discovery that I made is that manufacturers' claims are all over the place and mostly hype. Beware of claims of moving 3,000 cfm while pulling less than 10 amps. :mad:

·
Registered
1983 300SD (90K), 1985 300CDT (69K) brand new, 1970 250C, 1989 190D (45K) brand new
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using a 16" S-Blade fan and attaching it to the existing shroud was what I was thinking.

However, would the fan be more efficient pulling air through the radiator using the existing shroud or when the fan is closer to the radiator - such as attached to the radiator?

I've discovered that these 3L diesels are not hot running cars - that is they don't easily over heat. With the clutch fan not working and the temps crossing over 100F last week, the car ran between 90-95C. The Aux electric in the front worked intermittenly amazing enough. Of course I do not want to tax the Aux fan once the real summer heat gets here. Thus, I'm looking for options.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
However, would the fan be more efficient pulling air through the radiator using the existing shroud or when the fan is closer to the radiator - such as attached to the radiator?
I'm not a big fan of attaching the fan directly to the radiator. It requires pushing fasteners throught the core and clamping the fan to the cooling fins.

I'd prefer to attach the fan to the chassis, which is what MB does.

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Axel - did you get any noticeable gains in performance by switching to an electric fan?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
Axel - did you get any noticeable gains in performance by switching to an electric fan?
No. :(

A mechanical fan will consume less than 5 hp. You'd be really hard pressed to notice any difference.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,445 Posts
I put on these DC Control 33212 fans a couple of years ago. It made all the difference in a Las Vegas summer - the AC worked in stop-n-go traffic where before it would not hold 70F on max. This set of fans has the automatic regulator on them, with a sensor pushed into the radiator fins. The fan starts at 0% speed and follows the radiator heat up to 100% fan speed. If you don't need them, they're off. Also, these have scimitar shaped blades and when they're at 100% flow (~3400 cfm), they are not particularly noisy. They cost around $375 delivered.

But.... they draw about 30amps on maximum and that aggravates the alternator. I've put in a couple of voltage regulators and a rebuilt alternator. It's worth it though.

As Black Euro states, don't scrimp on quality here. These fans are protecting your very expensive engine and if they fail, they can kill the engine.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts