Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard a job is it to replace the A/C Control Unit, also called the Selector Panel/Switch or Climate Control Unit?

They cost $249.00 at mercedespartsstore.com and was thinking about replacing this myself. Can this be done from inside the car or have to go through the engine/firewall or would this require removing the dashboard?

Also, what about replace the A/C Compressor itself, is that a DIY job or best left to an MB shop?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The CC push button unit is swapped from the center console and is a plug in unit, but depending on what year car you have (the design of the facia is different) may require you to remove the radio, blanking plate, etc.

The AC compressor is mounted at the front of the engine, on the 2.3L it's on the exhaust side, under the alternator. Unless you're familiar with a/c systems and have the tools to evacuate and refill the system, it's best left to the pros.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I only need to replace the Control Unit, that doesn't require evacuating and re-filling does it. I guess if I purchased a Haynes auto manual for 1986 then it will have the procedures to do the replacement?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts