Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 E320 4Matic with a metallic rattle from the front passenger side. My local mechanic says that it is coming from the left catalytic converter. $2,000 from Mercedes + $250 labor. He says that if I buy an after market Cat, he will install it but I should buy "upper and lower oxygen sensors" because they often break when they are removed ($150 each). Any advice would be appreciated. Where to get the Cat? Is it true about the O2 sensors?
Thanks

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hello WJBooth and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to fill out your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

If you're in the USA and have less than 80K miles on your car, MB will replace any bad converters for free.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi, booth.

Depending on where you are located, there are aftermarket cats available. However, as Matt L notes if you're under 80,000 miles MB will replace the CAT free.

If not I'd find a different shop; all you need do is remove the O2 sensors before you begin and all is well. If they can't do that without breaking them... You could even just hit an exhaust specialty shop. They can cut out the old one and weld in the new without ever disturbing the O2 sensors; one of the members had this done and for both secondary (main) cats it was only like $250 or so. Check the stickies and use the search function, you will find all you need to know about the issues.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
I jsut had one replaced at the dealer under warranty (8 yr/80k.) They gave me the same warning about the O2 sensor, but didn't need to replace it after all.

trey

·
Registered
1997 mercedes e420
142 Posts
mine was making the same noise the last while, i took it to a indy muffler shop, we heard rattling, not the can of marbles, but like it was the cat, he said the cats looked good, and didnt sound rough, so we unbolted the mounts, and pulled out, then he made a tool out of a coat hanger, slowly puled some debris out, lightly hammered the pipe, the startd it to blow out anything else caught in the fronts, and the noise was gone......

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the car has 110,000 miles on it, so I think it probably is the Cat - where to get one? Can you really take it to a muffler shop?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
the car has 110,000 miles on it, so I think it probably is the Cat - where to get one? Can you really take it to a muffler shop?
To a good indie shop, I wouldn't hit a Midas particularly. Call around to a few Beantown shops and get some quotes; probably not as cheap as if you order it from racepages.com and have them weld it in for you, but that will take longer.

Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
we

had a northeast member get the universal oe cat from racepages.com and had it spliced in,worked great.He first followed my instructions to isolate the cat and then found a muffler shop to do the splice.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1997 E420
189 Posts
afermarket cats..

Be warned, I had cheap aftermarket cats replaced on my 97 E420 through Midas Muffler. Within six months, both cats failed. After strong arming them with threat of a lawsuit they ultimately installed higher quality cats, which have been working fine for over a year...

All in all, the cost was significantly less than the dealer prices- The dealer will insist on replacing an entire section of pipe that is connected to the cat. The exhaust shops can cut and replace, but make sure you get the right parts..

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
racepages

are oe or oem cats,not cheap,no worries:thumbsup:
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
Unfortunately, if you live in California, it's not a (legal) option. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Racepages

or eastern cats has links or ability to get carb ca board cert cats also if you are in ca,and since he is in boston,no worries at least for him.
Also always find out why the cat went bad,some are just the faulty ones that were built,some fail from poor engine condition etc. so rule that out.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
273 Posts
racepages.com

shows only the whole shootin' match for my 2001 E430 4matic (pipes etc $400 per side). I want to get just the cat and have them welded in. Is it OK to order the parts for a 320, will they fit?:confused:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I have been quoted $366 for a DEC Cat from http://www.catalyticconvertersite.com/ Is DEC OK?

Should I order the O2 sensors as a precaution??

Big thankyou to all contributors.
Booth, that sounds like the full pipe to me. If you go to racepages.com you should find just the back cat for the $60 range, then take it and have it welded in. DEC is okay but that would be both cats and the pipe as well. If you go that route you may as well do the labor yourself, no welding required, check the DIYs.

At 110,000 miles you are due for all four O2 sensors and they're not cheap, although you can buy the "generic" Bosch units from Autohausaz and then wire them into your existing connector.

May go without saying for some but it does bear repeating for others: Don't buy anything meaningful for your Benz off ebay (this includes sensors of all types) as it's either refurbished or "replica" that will fail or worse damage your car.

Greg

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need Help! My mechanic just called - he is trying to install the new Cat and says that the flange is broken - he says that you can only get a flange that is part of the muffler and therefore I need a new muffler for $600! Apparently the muffler has "splayed" end. At this reat, it would have been cheaper to go to Mercedes.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
wjbooth,

I don't see where you posted the results of your search. Where did you buy your parts and were they the whole pipe assembly or just the cats to be welded into place? BTW, I'm asking largely because I have a bad cat too... :(

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
Which flange? If it's the same setup as the non-4matic, there is one at the manifold and another pair connecting the cat pipe to the muffler pipe. If it's the cat pipe to muffler pipe flanges that broke, then he can possibly just weld the pipes together.
The flange at the manifold is ceramic and that is probably more fragile. But no reason why you cannot replace it with a metal flange - if you can find one in the right size. The pipe will have to be cut to get the flange on and then re-welded. :crybaby2:

Edit - re-reading your post, it seems as if it's the cat pipe to muffler pipe flange that broke. Just weld the 2 pipes together, or get a collar pipe at Kragen or similar place, and slip it over the 2 end of the pipes and use U-bolts to clamp together. This was the standard joint for many years - and probably still is on other cars.

·
Registered
2007 ML350 / 2003 C240 4-MATIC / 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
76 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350 / 2003 C240 4-MATIC / 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
76 Posts
I installed mine with the original O2 Sensors and they are fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts