Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300SD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
my tachometer on my 300sd is dead, I want to replace or repair it.(is it repairable)
Is there any other tachometer else than w126 that fit my instrument cluster , from a diesel of course?
thanks. Karaca

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,373 Posts
hello,
my tachometer on my 300sd is dead, I want to replace or repair it.(is it repairable)
Is there any other tachometer else than w126 that fit my instrument cluster , from a diesel of course?
thanks. Karaca
Welcome; To take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information re your topic.
Good luck

Was unable to upload pdf. I'll try later.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Typical failure. You have the older style it can be "repaired", do a search. I replaced it. Select Brand
Just to help clear this up, it's very common for the tach amplifier to go bad and not that tachometer. Many times it seems like it's a matter of the male/female pins not making good contact after many years in service and this shows up with a jumping needle on the tach before it's just dead.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Thanks AA, the pics show where it is on a SD, and the plug. Uploads have failed.
But the amp is located on the drivers side inner fender, an upsidedown trash can looking thing that unscrews, to reveal the plug connections.

·
Registered
1981 300SD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just taken the tach amplifier out and tested it in a working car, result tach amp works.
my friend is going to test the tachometer in his car today, and see what the results are.
my question was, are there other tachometers from ex. w123 or w124 that will fit my w126 style instrument cluster, I live in holland, a very difficult issue to find such a tachometer/instrument cluster in the junkyard.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,373 Posts
I have just taken the tach amplifier out and tested it in a working car, result tach amp works.
my friend is going to test the tachometer in his car today, and see what the results are.
my question was, are there other tachometers from ex. w123 or w124 that will fit my w126 style instrument cluster, I live in holland, a very difficult issue to find such a tachometer/instrument cluster in the junkyard.
Fellow moderator a3jeroen is in Alkmaar. I couldn't upload the pdf files for the instrument cluster.
The support staff is fixing the upload problem.
In the meantime, if you want the pdf files, PM me with your email address, and i'll send them.
Cheers

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Karaca,
Mercedes Only in Brabant Imports cars for parting out from the US. Maybe he can help you.
I don't think a Tach from a W123 fits since the time-adjusting knob is on the wrong side for a W126. It is also a much sought item (by the W123 club) so there aren't many around.
Maybe it can be repaired? People on mercedes forum.nl can provide you with info on places that do repairs like that.

gr J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts