Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Merc G550, 97 Mercedes SL600, 09 Pontiac G8 GT, 03 Yamaha V-Star Classic, 91 Pont Firebird
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have just rebuilt all the calipers and replaced the rotors and brake pads with all new hardware. I now want to replace the brake hoses. I know these can be tricky and so far not to much has worked on this r129. Have tried flare nut wrench and soaked the fittings in WD40 and PBblaster. Only thing I haven't tried yet is heat which will be tonight. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get them off without compromising the brake lines? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Kay

·
Registered
several
23 Posts
You have tried it all and your headed in the right direction. If all else fails put heat on it just becareful . There isn't really anything else to try. If it doesn't work you might have to replace some brake line.

·
Registered
2014 Merc G550, 97 Mercedes SL600, 09 Pontiac G8 GT, 03 Yamaha V-Star Classic, 91 Pont Firebird
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Myarmar,
Thanks for the advice! Did you use the knipex pliers on the upper 11mm nut or the actual hose fitting?

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Hi All,
... Have tried flare nut wrench and soaked the fittings in WD40 and PBblaster. Only thing I haven't tried yet is heat which will be tonight. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get them off without compromising the brake lines? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Kay
Use two wrenches, one on the flair nut and one on the hose with enough space for your to grip both wrenches like your are gripping a pair of pliers. It always worked for me without twisting (damaging) the brake line.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,111 Posts
Use two wrenches, one on the flair nut and one on the hose with enough space for your to grip both wrenches like your are gripping a pair of pliers. It always worked for me without twisting (damaging) the brake line.
:thumbsup:

Just squeeze the two wrenches together.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using an 11 mm flare nut wrench on the top nut and locking pliers on the hose fitting. Have used so much force almost popped a blood vessel! lol! Is it also because of built up pressure from the system? Is there something I should disconnect (besides the hose to the caliper)to relieve some of the pressure?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I have been using an 11 mm flare nut wrench on the top nut and locking pliers on the hose fitting. Have used so much force almost popped a blood vessel! lol! Is it also because of built up pressure from the system? Is there something I should disconnect (besides the hose to the caliper)to relieve some of the pressure?
Don't pop a vessel.
Get a high QUALITY set of flair nut wrenches.
They don't compress the fitting.

That morning don't have sex, eat a steak about an hour or two before you start. Lol.

So far I never had to use the torch method....
Are you sure that you are going counterclockwise?

If you f*** up the nut threads, get a national pipe thread 1.8 die. ;)

Regards,
aam.

Ps.
I forgot.
For depressurizing loosen the bleed screws.

·
Registered
600SEL
1,083 Posts
Myarmar,
Thanks for the advice! Did you use the knipex pliers on the upper 11mm nut or the actual hose fitting?
I put Knipex pliers on the 11mm nut and flare nut wrench on the hose side. I have a set of Snap-On flare nut wrenches, I guess the quality is as good as it gets, but still 11mm nut was about to get rounded. Knipex pliers worked very good, but it did take a lot of force. After you break it loose, spin the nut back and forth 1/8 of the turn until it spins free on the brake tube. Make sure you not twisting the brake tube.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
Flare nut fittings don't loosen like regular nut and bolt connections because the flare nut is a much softer metal than its opposite.

They sort of snap loose with a jerk, not at all like squeezing pliers together.

Still, sometimes they just don't come loose "easily" and you have to secure the flare nut with vise grips while loosening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey aam,
Give up my morning ritual, let's not get crazy! Brake hoses aren't that important! LOL! Seriously, thanks for the help! Tonight I will try it again with all my information.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!
Kay

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Hey aam,
Give up my morning ritual, let's not get crazy! Brake hoses aren't that important! LOL! Seriously, thanks for the help! Tonight I will try it again with all my information.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!
Kay
I don't anymore do mornings, for my age, too taxing.
Nights are better, sleep right after. ;) Lol.

Try some tranny fluid.
Sometimes it works better then.....

Remember that what is holding the nut is, PIPE RUST.

Good luck.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts