Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 Sport
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I replaced the amp and rear speakers. The whole process took about 12 hours. The power and ground wires are pleanty thick. I had to move the Simens box over about a 1/2" and just drilled a new hole and mounted it with one screw. The amp then bolted into the stock location of the Bose amp. The power, ground and front speaker wire were pleanty long. I ran new speaker wire for the rear since I had to wire them in series. The stock Bose front speakers sound really good with 60 watts pushing them. I won't have to change them unless something happens to them. There is no way a sub bigger then 6-1/2" will fit in the stock location unless it has an extremely small magnet. I had to build an 1-1/2" spacer to get mine to fit because of the gas tank and these are shallow mount. I installed 1/8" closed cell sound deadener on the back wall plus sound deadener in the speaker holes for the rear. All in all it went well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 Sport
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and a few more

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Good job ! many cut fingers doing that lot no doubt.

I just had a thought

You could try running the subs firing into the trunk, With the basket on show inside the car, If there is space enough behind the seats, And the basket are pritty.

That may get rid of the depth mounting issue, To late for your car, but just an idea.

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Interested in seeing and knowing more...how does this sound? Have been looking at hose same subs wondering how good they sound and what type of difference they would make....you can get them in 2 ohm as well and thought they might be compatible with bose amp. Any one have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
MB SLK 230 AMG (1997)
356 Posts
Very nice, good job! more pics please... i whould love to get some real sound in my SLK, im used to have 2x 550x Rockford fosgate power series (720W each) in my old BMW soo its not the same with Bose :)

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Looks good. I like this install much better than the trunk installs.

Is your amp a 3 channel amp?

How does everything sound?

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 Sport
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The subs are 2ohm wired in series to produce a 4ohm load. its a 4 channel amp but switches to 3 channel if you bridge the rear channels. Huge difference in sound. The stock front Bose speakers sound really good with 60 watts pushing them.

·
Registered
1999 230
572 Posts
I'm glad your happy with your new sound, I can see you ripped out the seats & had a good go at getting it done.

·
Registered
94 C280 140,000 miles
32 Posts
could you fill me in on which wires are what, i'm assuming the brown is ground, red is power..... what is everything else????

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
The amp is in the passenger footwell. Pull carpet back from the firewall and you will see a panel beneath that.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
From behind the seat - there are pics on various threads about this. You can't access from the trunk as the fuel tank is between.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts