Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
It is in the compartment under the front passenger footwell. You have to take the seat out, remove the center armrest side plastic trim, remove the plastic panel under the glove compartment, remove the door step, remove the footwell right/front plastic trim, and then remove the front right carpet assembly. You will then easily remove the fiberglass panel which makes the footwell floor, and find the battery there. You will also find a pretty big empty space!!! Anyone who has done it once can do this in about 40 minutes.

If you have power whilst unplugging the yellow connector of the seat, you will have a SRS failure when you start the car after you're done. The only way to clear the fault is to get the dealer or someone to hook up SDS (Star Diagnostic System) to your car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
It is in the compartment under the front passenger footwell. You have to take the seat out, remove the center armrest side plastic trim, remove the plastic panel under the glove compartment, remove the door step, remove the footwell right/front plastic trim, and then remove the front right carpet assembly. You will then easily remove the fiberglass panel which makes the footwell floor, and find the battery there. You will also find a pretty big empty space!!! Anyone who has done it once can do this in about 40 minutes.

If you have power whilst unplugging the yellow connector of the seat, you will have a SRS failure when you start the car after you're done. The only way to clear the fault is to get the dealer or someone to hook up SDS (Star Diagnostic System) to your car.

Good luck.
I read the owner manual and it does not mention the seat to be taken out except move it forward all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
AsianBlack, you're referring to the main battery, not the auxiliairy one.

You can manage to avoid the error by not disconnecting the seat, but unscrewing it and moving backward off the rails (make sure you put a towel because the rails are greasy). This being said, you'll have a hard time to remove the center armrest plastic trim.

Notice that my dealer did not charge me to clear that fault. It takes them less than 5 minutes. Disconnecting the seat will trigger 3 SRS faults.

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
It is good to know

AsianBlack, you're referring to the main battery, not the auxiliairy one.

You can manage to avoid the error by not disconnecting the seat, but unscrewing it and moving backward off the rails (make sure you put a towel because the rails are greasy). This being said, you'll have a hard time to remove the center armrest plastic trim.

Notice that my dealer did not charge me to clear that fault. It takes them less than 5 minutes. Disconnecting the seat will trigger 3 SRS faults.

lippens,

Thanks, I did not know that our vehicle has aux. battery and why owner manual never mentioned it.
What does the aux. battery do (back up Batt.)?

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace the backup battery w/o SRS failure!

It is in the compartment under the front passenger footwell. You have to take the seat out, remove the center armrest side plastic trim, remove the plastic panel under the glove compartment, remove the door step, remove the footwell right/front plastic trim, and then remove the front right carpet assembly. You will then easily remove the fiberglass panel which makes the footwell floor, and find the battery there.
In fact, you don't need to take the seat out!!! Just did it today :) Do it this way:
- move front passenger seat all the way back and down
- remove the door step plastic trim
- remove the footwell right/front plastic trim
- raise the carpet assembly
- remove the nuts holding the fiberglass panel
- raise the fiberglass panel
-> now you should see the back up battery and easily access it

good luck!

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD, 1978 280SE EURO
261 Posts
You can purchase the battery at any battery store, AVOID the mb dealer
($70) I paid under $20.
Power Sonic PS-1212 12V 1.4amp hour
Roughly 4"X2"X2"
It is just a home alarm system battery or similar. The one I bought is identical except manufacturer name...same tabs for + and - etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 E350 Sensotronic Brakes Backup Battery

do you know the size of the battery so I can replace the Sensotronic brakes backup battery? I am assuming I can go to a Autozone or any other auto store to purchase it instead of going to a MB dealership?

Abe

·
Registered
'87 560SL, '14 Smart ED, '08 R320 CDI, '05 C240
182 Posts
The E-class is an MG14-BS battery. I replaced mine with a top of the line Gel battery I got from a motorsports dealer for half the price at the dealer.

I don't know if the R-class has the same battery or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.